Anyone own Axiom Quadpolar Surrounds?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
OK, I think I have decided to opt for the Axiom quadpoles, but cannot decide between the QS4's and the QS8's. I would go for the 8's in spite of the extra cost because I assume they sound better, but for one thing. I have to place these speakers on walls very near my ceiling. They are bounded on the bottom by a curtain rod. Problem is, where I would have to place the 8's, they will be 1.5 inches from the ceiling at top. Since these are top firing (woofs fire from top and bottom), I am wondering if that is a problem if the sound from the top woof collides with the ceiling 1 inch out. With the 4's, it would be 4 inches from the ceiling because those speakers are smaller. My understanding is that with multipolar speakers, the sound is supposed to reflect off surfaces, but is this nearness to the ceiling a problem? Clearly if it was flush up against the ceiling it *would* be, but what about 1-4 inches away?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
EricHaas,
This sounds like something for the forum at Axiom's web site (http://207.228.226.248/ubbthreads/po...?Cat=&Board=HT). That way, you can get Ian (Axiom's president) or Alan's (Axiom's resident expert) opinion on the matter.
Jason F.,
I personally don't feel that they're bright at all, but that doesn't mean for a second that they're not detailed...because they certainly are!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I was just about to post, go to axioms discussion board and then Ron posted the link. Ian and Alan are both great about any questions you have Eric. Thought I'd may lean towards the QS4's based on the clearance issue but let the Axiom folks give you their professional opinion and do let us know! :)

E

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I am extremely happy with the QS8's... I am listening to the Last Waltz now on them... and they provide a great effect.

For my front's, I run a pair of M3s with a pair of ASL Wave amplifiers. For something like $400USD (M3's *and* Waves)they are a *killer* combination. This is my low end system and I think it sounds incredibly good for the money.

I also run the VP150 center. I find it does not provide the same detail my old Magneplanar center did, but dispersion across the room is *excellent* (something I wanted by going to Axiom).

I am really pleased with the Axiom setup. I sold off more expensive gear (putting the delta into two channel) and it has been an excellent "downgrade". I really recommend anyone getting the M3's try them with the Waves... it is a really nice combination.

Mark.

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
This thread has been very informative...I've been debating for a few months about what Axiom configuration. I have two questions I'm hoping someone can assist with.

First, a couple of folks have stated that the THX Ultra2 specs recommend side dipoles and rear monopoles...can someone provide a link to this?

Second, I'm thinking about the M22's up front, the VP150, and the QS8's for my rears (for a 5.1 config). Then, when I save up the money, I'm thinking about getting a pair of M60's up front and moving the M22's to the rear surrounds and moving the QS8's to the side. Do you think this is a good upgrade plan? Anyone see any problems with it?

Thanks!

Jack

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jack_Geo,

Second, I'm thinking about the M22's up front, the VP150, and the QS8's for my rears (for a 5.1 config). Then, when I save up the money, I'm thinking about getting a pair of M60's up front and moving the M22's to the rear surrounds and moving the QS8's to the side. Do you think this is a good upgrade plan? Anyone see any problems with it?
Sounds like a great plan to me! In fact, I'm trying to convince a buddy of mine to do the same thing as his budget is somewhat limited right now. You should have a really sweet sounding system on your hands when you accomplish all of that. Like I said above, I'm basically doing the same thing except for some substitutions (I've already got M50s for fronts and M3s for surrounds in a 5.1 system)...I'll move the M3s to the surround back position and pick up some QS8s for the side surrounds.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jack and Ron, I think you guess are right on with your approach. And I'll see if I can get a link for the THX Ultra2 goodies...I did read a review on the new Pioneer THX Ultra 2 receiver and it was mentioned in that article...either Home Theater or SGTH.

E

Gregory S

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone comment on the differences between the Quadpolars and other surround speakers? Any experience with Def Techs, Paradigm, PSB, etc.?

Would you say that they are at least as enveloping as the others, marginally better or a lot better?

Thanks,

Greg

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
I have Paradigm ADP-170's, and while I like them, I think the Axiom QS-4's (about the same price range as the 170's) have a more enveloping quality to them. They also combine a localizable quality similar to mono-poles that I like. I think they are a "best of all worlds" type of surround speaker. I recently heard these, and I very quickly decided I liked them better than my Paradigms (and I do like mine).

One thing in Paradigm's defense though, is that mine are not positioned (too high on the wall) as well as the Axiom's I heard. But even allowing for better positioning, I still feel the Axioms would be more to my liking.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any info on how "bright" these speakers are? And if they are, what amp are you running?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I have not found them to be bright. I compared them to Atlantic Tech 350 and 270 series dipoles.

I use Marantz MA-700 monoblocks

Ron

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I not really familiar about Marantz, what kind of receiver would it be classified as? Warm.....Bright?? Correct me if i'm wrong but:

Denon= Bright

Harmon= Warm

Yamaha= Bright

Onkyo= Bright

Can anyone fill me in on the other major brands?

Real Name
Alex Bischoff
Jason,
I can't speak as to how Marantz sounds (as I've only heard them briefly). However, Denon and Marantz may soon sound more similar in the future, since they've merged
---
Alex Bischoff

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
The combination of Axioms and Yamaha offers a very nice neutral, accurate and natural sound.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
As far as amplification, I've got a bit of a Frakenstein rig! I've got a stereo Odyssey Stratos powering my M50s, a Marantz MA-500 monoblock powering my VP150 and, until my three other MA-500s arrive in a few days (
), I'm using my Denon 3802's amps solely to power my surrounds. Once the MA-500s arrive, I'll hook two of them up to the Denon to power my surrounds, leaving two (I have an extra one lying around) to power my QS8s when I get into a new home with a basement. Then, I'll be ready for full-on DTS-ES Discrete sound (provided I have enough DVDs with DTS-ES)!!!
Jason F.,
I find my Odyssey's sound to be a tiny bit on the warm side, my Denon's sound to be warm, while the Marantz sound is more forward than both of the others. However, the more forward sound of the Marantz MA-500 mono tends to work out real well on my center channel as the dialogue seems to be that much more crisp and intelligible.

John Garn

Agent
Just read this posting. The QS8s have a 6 ohm impedance. Anyone had any problems mating them when the rest of your speakers are 8 ohm?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meenishabmanu