What's new

Anyone own Axiom Quadpolar Surrounds? (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Right now my main issue with my HT is that my rear soundfield is too narrow. Unfortunately, I am constrained in that I have to wall mount my rears horizontally and near the ceiling because of insurmountable WAF issues. Right now I have a pair of Paradigm Titans up there resting on their sides. This produces a very narrow sweet spot. The speakers are pretty accurate, but I crave more envelopment. It occured to me that replacing them with multipolar speakers of roughly the same size could help out. I have Paradigm Studio 60's and the Studio-cc center right now in front, but I find timbre matching with surrounds unnecessary (the Titans aren't Timre matched to the mains anyway).

The Axiom Quadpolar surrounds caught my eye in terms of price, size and horizontal orientation. The Paradigm dipoles are vertically oriented and won't work here.

I was considering either the Qs4's or the Qs8's. I am seeking opinions as the following:

1. Sound quality. Wide diffusion?

2. How easy are they to wall mount? Do you need to purchase brackets?

3. How do they look with the cherry finish? If the finish is cheap or fake looking, I'd just assume go for the regular black finish.

Thanks in advance.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I have the QS-8's in black and love them. Very wide dispersion. Use them as my side surrounds in 7.1 setup...work great! I can't vouch for the cheery but the fit and finish on mine are top notch! So I doubt the cherry would be any different. E-mail Ian at Axiom, he's the pres/owner and he'll deal with you directly...great company!

They come with wall brackets for mounting, you just need to provide the screws...works like a charm!

E

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I have the QS-8's in black and love them. Very wide dispersion. Use them as my side surrounds in 7.1 setup...work great!
Well, I've only got a 6.1 system, but I think the same particulars apply...

What are you guys using/plan to use for your center rear speakers? Monopoles or quadpoles?

I've almost decided to go with an Axiom system, and I'll be getting the QS-8s for the L and R rear speakers (I much prefer bipole/dipole and presumably quadpole over monopole here). But I'm not sure if it would be better to add another QS-8 (or pair of same) in the rear center position, or go with the monopole M3 instead. Presently, I'm using dipoles for the right and left rear and a monopole for the center-rear with very good results. Still, I wonder which is the preferred setup?

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to split up my 2 channel and HT (I used to have an all planar home theater), so I got four M3's (fronts and rears), a pair of QS8's, and a VP150 center. I am pretty pleased with everything, and am very glad I went with the QS8's. I was also able to get this setup for less than $1000USD, which I consider a pretty good deal.

I am running the M3's with a pair of ASL Waves... it is a really nice combination.

Mark.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
What are you guys using/plan to use for your center rear speakers? Monopoles or quadpoles?
Rich,

When I'm ready, I'll move my pair of M3s from the 5.1 surround position to the rear center (back surrounds) and then get some QS8s for the side surrounds.

Mark,

How do you like the VP150? I just upgraded (from the VP100) and am extremely happy with it.

Eric,

Although I was tempted by the cherry finish, I went with black as I am always thinking of the future (resale for upgrading, etc.).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ron, do you think that's the way to go? Monopole center-rear speakers and dipole/bipole/quadpole for "side" surrounds?

Or are you going this route because you've already got the monopole M3s, but would otherwise prefer quadpole (bipole/dipole) for the center-rear channel?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I too am using monopoles as my back rear speakers...also, without planning on it, that is what the new THX Ultra2 calls for. Dipole for sides (which basically the QS series speaker do) and monopole for the back rear.

E

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I can see using monopolar rears in a 7.1, but what about in a 6.1 system where you only have a single rear speaker directly behind you? (7.1 is not an option for me due to room layouts). It seems to me a dipolar/quadpolar rear would be better in that case, wouldn't it? At least, that's what I'm thinking. Right now I have a 5.1 system with monopolar surrounds in the back corners toed in to point back into the listening area (again, room layout and WAF dictates this). I'm going to be upgrading to a 6.1 Axiom/Outlaw setup, and was thinking that I would stick with monopolor surrounds since I can't mount them on the side wall, and I figured I'd go with the QS8 for the single rear to create a more diffuse surround field. Thoughts?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I'm running a 6.1 system exactly like the one Jeff describes, except I can place my L and R surrounds to the sides of the listening position. Because of this orientation of my surround speakers, my thinking was to keep the multipolar (quadpole/dipole/etc.) on the sides and go monopole in the center-rear...

I guess, then, that this all largely depends on the specific configurations of our surround setups (as well as other preferences for a more or less diffuse sound). I guess mine most closely resembles the THX specs, and thus I should go with a monopole center-rear to compliment my quadpole/dipole side surrounds?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I'd put one of your (current) monopolar surrounds as your "single" back channel and put the QS8's on the side walls. This will give the "most surround" experience because most of the sound will be coming from your side surrounds NOT your back. Yes some EX/ES disks give you "decent" back channel information, the most information is still located in the "normal" surround/back channels of a 5.1 setup. Make sense?

Hope this helps!

E

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Erik, I don't have the option of putting the surrounds on the side walls, they're in the back corner, and they're aimed back into the room at a slightly downward angle (they're up by the ceiling for WAF reasons that are beyond my control). I realize this is not the "optimal" placement for surrounds, but it's the best I can do in my living room. Given the placement I was under the impression I'm better off with monopolar speakers. Would you agree/disagree? The surrounds are pretty far the seating position, probably about 10 feet by the time you factor in height, so monopoles seem to work OK except for the fact that there isn't really any sound coming from behind me.

Also, I had heard some people say that a single speaker behind you would sometimes give the impression that the sound is coming from in front of you, which is why two back channels at the 1/2 and 2/3 points are preferred. Since I'm limited to a single back channel I thought that maybe the more diffuse sound of a quadpolor speaker would lessen this effect.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

Ron, do you think that's the way to go? Monopole center-rear speakers and dipole/bipole/quadpole for "side" surrounds?
I remember reading a while back that the speaker set up I've indicated above is the way to go as far as 7.1 (really 6.1 as the rear center channel is a mono signal split between 2 speakers). Also, I feel that the "diffuse" sound is what I want for the side surround channels. I just so happens that it works out (that I've already got the M3s for the rear center)!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jeff, the reason some think that one rear might sound like it's coming from the front of the room is because that speaker's information is "bouncing" off of the front soundstage (wall)...that's why it's important to dampen the front if using a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. Most people don't realize this.

Given you're setup, corner loading of speakers...You're not out of the ballpark with the QS8's...you can still mount those in the corner (it would be more difficult, but it could be done). That would really give you a nice wide dispersion and then use one monopolar for the rear. You could get an "omni-bracket" and mount the QS8's in the corner just like you would a monopolar speaker. I'd say about 1' down from the ceiling, in the corner, and you'd be all set! Since those speakers have a dipole array (for the mid/tweeters) and woofer vertical placement (up & down), even corner loading should work out.

But if that doesn't work, then yea I'd say your next best bet would be One QS8 in the rear.

E...how's that for options? :)

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,

I have been following your threads about the Axiom's for a while now. I'm still about a year off from upgrading but I have decided to go with the Axiom's (after reading many of your posts). What would you use for your center rears? The MZEROti?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Great thread...

I really like the design of the Axiom surrounds. They seem to allow for the best of both worlds....diffusion and direct effects. Am I missing something?

After this post, I am rethinking my layout. What would be the benefit of the direct radiating speakers for rear center effects vs the Axiom Quad speakers, which should allow for both direct effects and diffusion (creating a wider soundstage)? My experience with rear center surround has been most portions of the soundtrack directed to the rear centers are ambient effects and music, which benefit from dipoles. A smaller percentage of direct rear effects seem to show up in the soundtrack, which are best reproduced by direct radiating speakers.

Any insights are appreciated.

Ron

Marc H

Second Unit
The cherry finish is very nice actually.

If budget allows, I'd highly recommend the QS8Se over the QS4Se for two reasons; the QS8Se use a better sounding tweeter than the QS4Se with smoother, more detailed and open treble. Secondly the bass response of the QS8Se is quite remarkable and is usable in 'Large' mode.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have been following your threads about the Axiom's for a while now. I'm still about a year off from upgrading but I have decided to go with the Axiom's (after reading many of your posts). What would you use for your center rears? The MZEROti?
While I'm sure the MZERO would work fine, I intend to put an M3 back there (an M22 might be even better), or a QS8 if it seems that quadpole would be a better design for the center-rear in my setup. Why?

The tweeters!

Speaker matching is important, and tweeter matching is most important. Once you go below the M3 or to any other Axiom quadpole speaker except the QS8, you're talking about a different tweeter.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Are the Axiom's bright? What would be the best receiver to match with them? I am really leaning towards the new Oynko.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks