Anyone own Ascend 170SEs or 340SEs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Garcia, May 15, 2006.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm looking to upgrade the bedroom system, and these guys are on my short list. I have yet to see pics of the new versions, so I was wondering how different they look, if at all. The Ascend site doesn't have pics of the new versions yet. How do you like the way they sound? I'd be interested in a demo if anyone happened to be local too. Thanks.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

hey John,

The pics of the 170's on Ascends site are of new version.
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

The looks are not different.....drivers are different, and the only way you can tell is if the grille is off. The 340SE's port size is a little different. Also, there is a sticker on the back denoting they are SE's.

There are folks in the Bay area with Ascends...SE's too I think. Try asking on the Ascend forum.

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair and I'll dig up a link to apic of mine. The Ascend site does indeed show the SE's, but only for the 170s. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image...E_lt_ng_hr.jpg

The visual differences are pretty subtle. Only the tweeter has visually changed from the newer 170s and those with older 170s will notice that the phase plug on the woofer has also changed (the woofer changed slightly before the release of the SE's).

4. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

5. John Garcia

John
    Nice finish! Their new finishes look nice but silver and white aren't my style. I just registered over there, so I'll check to see if there are any locals who are willing to audition [​IMG]

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

They can match any color you want....but it will cost you.

Also check the Frapper map thingy.

7. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

John, cyberbri is upgrading to 340se(s) and 170se(s), VTF3.2, shortly. He's inviting me by, you're welcome to come along. I think he's moving to Milpitas this weekend.

8. John Garcia

John
    Sounds good, let me know when.

9. AjayRAV

AjayRAV Stunt Coordinator

John,

I have the original CBM170's and the 340 center. You are welcome to come and see how they sound with Marantz equipment, since I know that you are a Marantz fan. You could also check out my ACI Sapphire XLs which are, in a word AWESOME. I live in Walnut Creek.

Ajay

10. John Garcia

John
    Ajay, thanks for the offer! I heard the classic 170s a while back, but I was curious to hear what the updates have done for the sound. I read the info on the updated versions and I'd like to hear what the changes to the aerogel driver and lower tuning have done for the 170s. I have yet to hear the 340s. If I am planning to be up in your area, I'll try to set somthing up with you [​IMG] The ACis...I'll have to look them up; haven't heard them yet.

I briefly auditioned some Dynaudios last night and was fairly impressed with them.

For the time being, I'll hold out for a Milpitas meet, as that is about 5 min from me.

11. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

Hey, here you are again, guys! [​IMG]

I got the speakers/sub last night and it all sounds great. I need to work on the speaker mounts for the 170s in the rear tonight, get them tighter to support the weight and fire outwards. And I want to run some more tests, but I think I found a great spot for my sub that yields pretty flat response. Going from the H100, which starts to trail off once it gets below 30Hz, it was cool to hear the VTF-3 keep on going flat down to 20Hz with the Avia tone before the tone cuts out.