Anyone own an ipod?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PatB, Oct 14, 2003.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I was contemplating buying one of these or another such MP3 player, although I'm leaning towards this one b/c of the size of the hard drive. My biggest concern and one that I can't seem to get an answer to is whether or not the ipod has a resume feature. What I mean is, in the middle of a track if I stop the player, not pause but stop or even power off will it pick up from where it left off or go back to the beginning of the playlist? If anyone has any experience with one of these players I'd appreciate it. Believe it or not, the guy at the apple store wouldn't (or couldn't) give me a straight answer, he just kept going on about the pause feature. It's so hard to find good help these days, that's why I come here.
    Thanks

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Yeah, it resumes. It takes a long time to completely turn off, it is usually in some sort of standby. I think if it turns completely off you may lose your place. I don't remember, though. It does takes a couple of days before it completely turns off.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wha??

If you pause it, it shuts off in a minute. You can force it to shut off, by holding play/pause, but then it will not resume.

So, yes, it resumes- as long as you let it go into standby on its own (pause it, set it down, one minute later it will be off). It will pick right up wherever it was paused.

If you force it to standby, it will go back to the menu.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Just pause the track. The iPod will go to sleep after a short time and when you wake it up it will be at the exact spot you stopped it at.

5. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Hey Vince, if I just press stop what happens? Starts over or picks up from where I left off?
    I'm just trying to figure out if it's anything like a DVD player that you can stop and then resume.
    So if I'm listening to something like a long piece of classical music and then have to stop to take a call or something how does that work out?
    Thanks again.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

7. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

8. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

So you can shut it down and resume? What's third generation? The most recent?

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Pat: Third Generation is the current iPod line. And yes, but pressing pause and letting it turn itself off in a minute or so, it'll resume when you press play again. If you press and hold the pause button, it'll also shut off, but won't resume when you press play again.

10. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info guys, I can now consider myself an informed consumer. [​IMG]

11. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Good, now go out there and get the world's best MP3 player!

12. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Again, my iPod resumes just fine after having it switched off by keeping the Play/Pause button pressed.

-Christian

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

MIne is se second gen: 10 gig with the non-moving jog wheel, but still had the hard buttons... If I force it to sleep it will go back to menu. Mine also has the windows version of the playback software on it, dunno if that makes a diff.

It's weird, I've left minf unattended for WEEKS and it never rebooted or went back to "power off" as you suggested. I can force a reboot, but it doesn't do it automatically, even after days.

-Vince