Anyone own a Scion TC?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todbnla, Jun 28, 2005.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My wife likes these little cars and she tells me these are eventually replacing the toyota Celica if they have not already done so? But for the price it does not seem they can be beat. Under $19k for a fully loaded compact sport with auto/air/sunroof, killer stereo and a lot of other extras. Anyone feedback of SCION cars in general?

http://www.scion.com/showroom/tc/gallery/

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    not a bad looking car. these in the same price range as the toyota "sell your ca"?

CJ

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    not sure about it REPLACING the Celica

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I drove one a few weeks ago, I really didn't care for it?

5. Jonathan Loy

Jonathan Loy Extra

They look pretty nice. I think they have have 17" factory wheels. If I had the money I would consider that or a Honda Civic Coupe. I'm pretty sure they will replace the Toyota Celica because lack of sales for it.
    There has been an automotive trend that consumers are considering or pursuing a Japanese import because of the popularity of "tricking" out these cars to compete with high end raw horsepower vehicles. The reliability is pretty outstanding also.

The Scion tc is a pretty good deal in my opinion.
    The colors could be better.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you mean ricing, which has little to do with performance. Sure you can get the 4,000 dollar supercharger from TRD, I think it's good for a whopping 35hp.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    The $4k supercharger has never surfaced from what I hear?? They have a S/E "ver 1.0" for 05 that had 18" enkies and 40 series tires, its a vivid red and a l/e of 2500. But the 06's are already out too. They gave a few of the ver 1.0 in our town. This would be a daily driver for my wife and releave her of her current 2000 VW New Beetle Cyber Green...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...w=05tCrelease1

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I thought the TRD kit was out there and driving around already, I really dunno dude.

Just go drive the thing, see what she thinks. I drove the tC and the mazda3 back to back and much preferred the 3 in the same price category, but it's all subjective.

9. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I for one will hold out for the 8th-generation 2006 Honda Civic coupé instead. [​IMG] It's got the same horsepower as the Scion tC but will likely have better handling, easy-shifting six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission and probably better fuel efficiency. [​IMG]

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'd reckon it'll cost more too, tough to beat the scion pretty well loaded for a no haggle 17k.

11. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I'm sure the Civic will excel over the tC in all of these areas. The tC is also somewhat portly, with a curb weight of ~2900 lbs., but it does borrow its 2.4-liter four from the Camry, so the engine is smooth and fairly respectable power-wise. I've been considering a tC as well (after 5 years and 70K miles, it may be time to trade in my Celica). Honda makes very good engines, but exterior-wise, I find them rather boring. The 2006 Honda Civic Si previewed at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show would have been a perfect fit if I were 5-10 years younger, but the boy racer styling is too much for me.

Todd:
    Think of Scion as Toyota's own Saturn line. They're fun vehicles backed by Toyota's own standards for quality, reliability and dependability. Take the Mrs. to your nearest Toyota/Scion dealer for a test drive; let her decide if the tC's handling characteristics, as well as features, suits her well. I have a co-worker who owns the tC and she is content with all aspects of her ride.

12. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Well, as of last night there is a 2005 tc "version 1.0" sitting in our driveway. My wife got home with it about 10pm. I took it for a drive. A really neat li'l car for the money. I am fond of Honda's too as I used to work at a few Honda dealerships but if I have learned nothing after living with women for over 20 years, it is when their mind is made up, its made up. I think the car will work out fine for us.I was amazed at the extra's that came on this car, such as; tire pressure monitoring system, kewl.
    This is her exact car:

[​IMG]

13. Ken Chui

Todd, I believe your wife made a solid decision in going with the tC. Nevertheless, I'm excited about the changes they have in store for the 2006 model year (posted last month on a Toyota forum):
    I'm still waiting for the factory-installed supercharger to materialise (I know there are turbo options, but having the dealer stand behind it would give me peace-of-mind)

14. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Ken,
    They have the 06's in stock now in most dealers, she drove an 06 and only got the 05 due to the package it came with, basically the 06 is $200 more not including the ipod radio option. We were going for an 06 but again, got the l/e package instead.

Good Luck.

15. Jonathan Loy

Jonathan Loy Extra

Phillip G, "Ricing" I think is when someone puts asian lettering on a vehicle that doesn't come from Asia in general. It's funny to see Chinese words on a Volkswagen Jetta or lettering on a domestic car. There's nothing funnier than seeing a Chevy Cavalier GTR or Dodge Neon that say's "Land Of The Rising Sun" in Japanese. That's called "domestic rice"
    Import cars that's fixed up "Right" are actually worth looking at and respected. There's nothing like seeing my buddies Civic Hatchback smoke the local C5's and Dodge Vipers.
    [​IMG]

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeeeeeeeeeah... the stickers, bodykit, and wing add 50 HP.

ricing has nothing to do with lettering.
    this is a pretty good definition
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricer

17. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Actually, most real ricer cars are standard Japanese cars that has all kinds of modifications except putting in a more powerful engine and exhaust system. A stock Acura RSX Type-S hatchback, 1999-2000 Honda Civic Si coupé, 2003-2005 Civic Si hatchback, and the upcoming 2006 Civic Si coupé would leave those most ricer cars far, far behind. [​IMG]

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the rsx type-s runs the 1/4 in something like 14.8, hardly quick.
    Either way, start throwing a bunch of crap on it to make it LOOK fast and it's still ricing. Even if it is a woman's car [​IMG]

19. Ken Chui

It's roughly the same as an '04 Mustang GT (though the 0-60 time is better).

Most women opt for the base RSX (based on personal observation); guys tend to go with the Type-S for the additional 50bhp. Same goes for the V6 Mustang: ~55% of all buyers are female (men tend to prefer the brawn of the GT's V8). When I think of a woman's car, the Pontiac G6 comes to mind (also backed by an MSN poll, where women ranked this model among their top 10 choices).

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yes, but the 05 does it in about 13,8