Anyone own a NAD receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Mar 26, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Trying to find out if NAD is a good choice receiver. After talking to some local audio shops they seem to have high opinions on them musically. I dont know how they are in the home theater area.. Ive found the NAD t751 online for 550.00 refurbed.. Any help/info would be great as there doesnt seem to be much alot of NAD stuff here.. thanks,Mike

2. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

I have and LOVE NAD,but my NAD stuff is traditional 2-channel. Have you checked out the reviews on the NAD H.T. stuff at Audioreview?

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

NAD makes excellent sounding gear. I'll take it to the Japanese stuff any day.

4. MikePeroni

Would you guys give it a better rating than Marantz for sound quality?? I generally listen to rock/jazz through Energy speakers, and Marantz was my other choice. Also, a friend at work just got the Outlaw 1050 and is very happy... Thanks[​IMG]

5. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I own a stereo model 7220. It can be a ferocious little beast depending on the speakers used. The sound is reminiscent of of Dynaco solid state equipment such as the PAT 4 pre-amp and the stereo 80 poweramp. I use it on a 5 channel dynaquad passive circuit that just celebrated its 15th birthday, 12 of those years with that receiver.

I did try a 7225 unit, but returned it due to lack of power.

Although not a receiver, I use 3240PE power amp section fed into two raw subs I put into some old Marantz cabinets with the sub pre-out from a 6095R Sherwood. The 3240PE as an intergrated amp was very finicky with loudspeakers. Both the two items listed in this paragraph had quality control problems.

The best stereo receiver I heard from NAD was the TX 7100.

I have not heard any of their current or recent home theater products but I would be wary in buying them because of possible quality control problems.

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

With a dollar to dollar comparison, I would take the NAD over the Marantz.

7. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Nad gear is great. I had the NAD t770 receiver and absolutely loved it..but upgradation took it's course so it had to move on to a new home,,however I would certainly buy NAD product again..Yes ,,I'd do it again.

High quality,,,simple to use.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I believe NAD stuff is up there. I think they have some new receivers in the works. Man, I smell the same waiting game I played last year around this time when I waited for the Marantz x200 line. Marantz is good but I believe NAD is ebtter in some peoples opinion. The store I bought my stuff from rated the T761 as better sounding than the SR 6200, 7000 or 7200. Their headquarters has changed to Pickering Ontario Canada. The parent company Lenbrook bought NAD from the UK 3 years ago and incidentally, Lenbrook also distributes Marantz. Its kinda neat cause now NAD and PSB live under the same roof less than 10 miles from me [​IMG]

9. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

I emailed NAD last week as they have a new ad in Sound & Vision. They told me the new receivers are coming out in June. I happened to check out the Lenbrook site and Marantz isn't listed as one of their consumer brands...only PSB, NAD, and Aegis Home Management Solutions.

edit: I just remembered that Marantz and Denon are merging...

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right. No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean Lenbrook Owned or was the parent company of Marantz. Lenbrook is the parent company of PSB and NAD. Lenbrook is, however, a distributor, and they just happen to distribute Marantz in addition to the NAD and PSB stuff they own.

Yeah, their website's got nothing on there. I don't even really care as much anymore about DPL II. I used to really care, but now my priorities could change. I like the idea of having 6.1/7.1 for the future too. My biggest desire is that NAD would implement REAL bass management. Not only do their current receivers not implement a selection of optional crossover points, but they also use 100 hz as a fixed xover instead of the at least somewhat reasonable compromise of 80 hz. I have a Marantz SR6200 and I want better bass management than 100hz. I'd also like 6.1 and DPLII, but bass management is the one thing I want now.

11. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    My misunderstanding about the Marantz thing.
    Hmmm...I didn't know that about the bass management with NAD...that's no good, I agree. [​IMG] I think one of the new receivers - T762 - may be THX Ultra certified, at least it looks like it is in the picture in the magazine. Isn't 80 Hz the crossover spec'd by THX? Maybe they've made an improvement in this regard...

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yes, I believe 80 hz is the THX spec. At least thats better than the 100 hz they use now. Marantz and NAD apparantly both use 100 hz crossovers. Rather lame in my opinion. I don't understand why subwoofers have adjustble crossovers and receiver DO NOT for the most part.

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I did think seriously about the Outlaw 1050, but I suspect that in stereo mode, I've got a bit more power than the 1050. I really like the Marantz sound. I resent the source direct mode, which increases bass, so its anything but source direct. If so, then the non-source-direct mode is very bad. Anyways...I was thinking about trying a 5 channel amp and an ICBM with my SR6200. Selling my SR6200 won't net me enough to get a 950, but I could see. Another option would have been to get a receiver which has MAIN-OUT/MAIN-IN loop which I could insert a crossover, like the ICBM. I might look for that option. Depends what the cost is.

15. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

mike, yesterday i did a side by side comparison with an nad 761, sherwood newcastle 956, and a marantz 7200 on psb image 6t speakers, the nad and sherwood sounded very similar, and were both far better then the marantz for sound quality, however you might want to look at the sherwood newcastle line, they use an 80 hz crossover.

I also heard that the new nad recievers will have improved base managment, and may be out as early as may according to my dealer.

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool about new NAD receivers. I didn't do extensive listening to the NAD T751 and T761 I heard before, but apparantly, they do sound better than Marantz Sr 6200/7200. I guess you're another slice of proof.

I should have really written NAD and all the other manufacturers. PLEASE just give us 60 to 80 hz as a minimum. If I can choose 60, 70 or 80hz crossover for at LEAST the front main speakers I will be a happy camper.

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Matt. Any more info about the newer NAD receivers and what the improved bass management entails?? Links? Rumours? Ideas?
    thanx [​IMG]

18. MikePeroni

Matt, what made the NAD beat the Marantz in your opinion??... Any way, yea I heard the new NAD line is coming soon, but the price is also goin up across the board. The new Integra 6.3 looks awesome, and that'll be out soon...I know the Integra is built better than Onkyo, but does that translate into better sound?[​IMG]