What's new

Anyone Own a Mini-DV Video Camera? How Do You Like It? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

My brother has a JVC DVL512u, which has two different widescreen modes. One just puts black bars at the top and bottom of the 4:3 image, the other stretches the widescreen image to fill the 4:3 frame. (I'm not sure how the stretching works internally, though.)

Are there DV cameras that record non-interlaced images? (Or is that even possible with the DV format?)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I also have a Sony DC-TRV2x series camcorder. It produces excellent picture quality when shooting in good light, and the in-camera displays of remaining battery time are nice. FireWire is a blessing.

The recharging system is less convenient than that of the 8mm unit it replaced. Both have large adapter bricks, but the new brick forces you to tie up the camera to charge a battery.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

I'm very interested in this camera. Right now I'm trying to decide between it and the Panasonic PVGS200 ($899 right now at Circuit City). The specs are similar to the DV-953. Compasion chart.
For $80 more (B&H has the DV-953 for $979) I think I'd be better off with the DV-953.

What do you guys think?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That would be my choice.

I'll probably buy the DV-953 this Summer.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks Ron. I think I will go with the DV-953. Unfortunately B&H no longer carries the DV-953. All the B&M stores around me have it for much higher, the cheapest I've been able to find it is for $1298. Do you know of any reputable (no grey market) online stores that carry it for less?

Thanks,

Vlad

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I did an on-line check and all the retailers
carrying it for under $1100 are those I would
not feel comfortable dealing with.

Seems like PC MAGAZINE overshot the retail price
on this one (they listed it at $900), but at a
average $1100-$1200 pricetag this is sort of an
expensive investment.

Since I am waiting till the end of the Summer to
buy, I am hoping the price will come down to below
$1,000.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Ron,

It looks like the DV-953 is being discontinued. And its replacement is the GS-400. They are discussing it on Camecorderinfo.com : http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t69467.html

The specs look pretty impressive, and so is the speculated MSRP of $1499. So I'm guessing that the price on the DV-953 should continue to drop. Now I just need to find a reliable e-tailer.

Vlad

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. I'm so very happy with my Panny XP30 DVD player. It's awesome. I love Panasonic gadgets, but their optical departments is not up to standard. I've researched nothing but bad with their digital cameras (still cams) and while their camcorders have nifty features for a fair price, from my experience and research they're a little under the cut. If you're looking for quality skip Panasonic. It breaks my heart to say that (really it does, I like Panny). I won't comment on their higher end ($1,000+) cams, as I don't know much about them, but they look nice.

I purchased a Sony TRV22 last year. I paid roughtly $650 after shipping. I'm happy with the performance of it but am finding out that I'm not using the camcorder all that much. I use my still cam much more often. I'm selling the cam and all the accessories that came with it if anyone is interested.

[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks