What's new

Anyone own a Lexus? (1 Viewer)

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to give some opinions and information, it has really helped me!

Andy

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
If you're looking at an A6, i would heartily recommend a Passat. They are the same under the skin, and the 1.8T model is the best bang-for-buck there is around - plenty of torque for overtaking, and surprisingly frugal too. And with 170 bhp, you don't need Quattro! ;)
Seriously, apart from the badge, they are twin sisters.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
My wife and I own a 2001 RX-300 and love it. Lexus vehicles are outstanding and the service is second to none.

Peace,

DM

Adil M

Supporting Actor
My dad let me decide whether to get a Lexus LS400 or a Bmw 7 series for him. We drove and checked out both. As much as I love BMW's the Lexus beat it out in our casual road tests. My dad also really like the styling of the Lexus.

Their customer service is ridiculous. The customer service we get at Infiniti is such a sham in comparison. That's why I get my services done at Nissan for the Infiniti, less money, same and better service.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking at an A6, i would heartily recommend a Passat. They are the same under the skin, and the 1.8T model is the best bang-for-buck there is around - plenty of torque for overtaking, and surprisingly frugal too. And with 170 bhp, you don't need Quattro!
Seriously, apart from the badge, they are twin sisters.
I own a 2.8 A4 quattro, and my fiance just bought a brand new (and very well appointed) Passat 1.8T (both five speed natch). I've looked at the A6 in showrooms many times while waiting for service, etc. I can tell you that despite being based on the same basic mechanical platform there is a hell of a lot more than the badge that's different. The Passat is a hell of a car I agree, and though it may share a good many parts, it ain't no A6.
However, Andy, you may want to look at some of the higher end Passats. They really are exceptional automobiles. The 4Motion AWD system is exactly the same as the Audi division's industry reference "quattro" AWD system. And the Passat can be had with lots of goodies. There's even a W8 version now, I saw the wagon version at my local VW dealer, now there you are gettign close to A6 territory. But the sticker was in A6 territory, too, at just under $40K.:eek:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, my mother is buying a used BMW 323i off lease because she thinks the new ES300 looks identical to the Camry. My dad has had 2 LS400s, so obviously not biased.
She is SO RIGHT!!! :) The new ES300 looks identical to the Camry that it is based on. It's shameful, can't the Toyota stylists come up with something which contrasts with the cheaper model better? I can't see how they sell any of those things. For the price you should get a more distinctive car IMO. Heck, even an Infinity I30 has a more distinctive look. Take a look at the Passat and the A4 for a dramatic example of what can be done to the same basic chassis to make it look different (and both are beautiful!). (though that may be unfair as the A4 and Passat may have much bigger differences than the Camry and ES300 - longer and more room in the Passat for example)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for three posts in a row this was sitting at the back of my desktop.
Andy, since you may be looking at Audis, which one would you look at? The A4 2.8 that I have is very sporty, built extremely well, goregeous, loaded, upscale, AWESOME in the rain thanks to AWD, and sporty without being too stiff riding for my tastes (BMW).
It's also very small.
Much smaller than the Acura TL and the Lexus ES300. The A6 however, is probably a good bit larger than those cars, but in the A6 you're moving into the high 30s and easily into the 40s, which is a bit more expensive. VW's Audi is making some really great cars right now that you may be interested in checking out. I've been happy with my A4. I've had my problems with it, but have been happy overall, and it's got lots of style.
But I guess if you're looking at Bimmers and Lexi then Audi deserves a stop by the dealer as well. Audis are very popular right and you're seeing more and more of them but you still see only one Audi for every 10 Lexus and BMW you see. Some people like to be different. And if you're not a disciple of AWD the very sporty FrontTrack A4s are a real bargain. The cockpit is distintly upscale, as is the appearance and dealer support, but the price is very reasonable.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I have a NAV system in my Mercedes and absolutely love it even though its a CD based one (like BMW's - Lexus uses a DVD). There are plenty of times when i don't have an oppty to print out directions from Mapquest - plus i find that there frequently not the best route and a GPS based Nav System (not sure if there is any other kind) will always calculate directions based upon your current position and attempt to get you back on track. I would not consider a New Car without one. Besides its an incredibly cool, gee whiz electronic toy which frequently manages other things in your car such as your phone, CD, Radio,Climate Control uh..of course not that HTF Members are susceptible to such things of course :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"Anyone else have some opinion on Lexus's vs BMW's?"

Things that Lexus does better than BMW:

1. Better reliability

2. Nicer dealers (they have to be).

3. The optional Lexus Mark Levinson audio systems are better than the optional BMW Harman/Kardon systems (even though they're made by the same company).

Things that BMW does better than Lexus:

1. Everything else.

"The 2002 Lexus ES300 has caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone here had opinions of Lexus in general and the ES300 in particular (the 2002 ES300 seems to be a redesign)."

I personally think $40,000 for a Camry is a bit much, but everybody has their own way of looking at things.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
My last car was a 2000 BMW 328ci, a coupe. I always wanted a BMW, and it didn't disappoint me. In the two years I had it, I didn't have ONE problem with it, and I drove that car HARD.
I'd considered Audi and Lexus, but discounted both; Lexus had no manual transmissions at the time, and A4s were just not sporty enough (S4 excepted, I like those!).
For my new car the choice was even easier... Lexus doesn't make anything which compares to this :D
M3Back.jpg

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I want to talk about this issue of the ES300 being identical to the Camry.

I just downloaded the quicktime 360 view of the ES300 and the high end Camry in the same color and while they are certainly similar, they are by no means identical.

The front lights are different.

The rear lights are different.

The styling on both the front doors and rear doors are different.

There is also a slight difference in the trunk from the view I got.

The rear lights being different cause not only the back of the car to look different but due to the interesting design of the lights, the sides of the car looks different when compared to the Camry.

In terms of price, the high end Camry base price was about 26,000 and the base price of the ES300 was about 32,000.

I have now read enough online reviews and heard enough opinions to safely say that there is no comparison between the ES300 and the Camry in terms of the car itself outside of the very similar looks.

Since I am not a "drivingphile" and I am looking for a little more room and luxury, so I am leaning towards the Lexus and away from the BMW.

My next steps are to do some research on the Audi and Passats that others have recommended in this thread.

Thanx again for all the opinions!

Andy

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
It's a matter of opinion. Nothing else. People who think an ES300 is a "glorified" Toyota Camry have never driven a Lexus. *or* they have driven both cars, and just don't know, realize, nor understand the difference. Would I pay $37K for an ES300. Ummm... yeah. Only because in my opinion, it would be worth it.
I paid $32K for my fully loaded 2001 Lexus IS300. I suppose I could have bought a used Honda Civic and a few cheap aftermarket parts and had the exact same car. Yeahhhhh... right. ;) hee hee....
scott.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Nice car Dave!
The Passat built on an A4, isn't it? The only thing I don't like about the Passat is you can't get 4motion (VW quattro) and a manual trans. I live on a hill in Minnesota that they don't plow asap, and would really like AWD, with an A4 you can get both.
Now I find out I can get a discount on Volvos... so I'm going to have to look at them too. :) (Was looking at VW, Audi, and BMW)
Brian

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Andy, good point about the Camry/ES300. They are built on the same platform and are -basically- the same car. That word "basically" is used very librally in this case. :) I haven't compared them closeley like you have I'm just talking looking at them on the road occasionally. They look very similar to me when seen as a whole. Not as similar as the Accord and the TL though. Look at the Passat and A4 for an example of how different two cars that are -basically- the same can look.
Since I am not a "drivingphile" and I am looking for a little more room and luxury, so I am leaning towards the Lexus and away from the BMW.
And that's as it should be. If you've driven the Bimmer already you probably noticed that it's harsh riding because it's so sporty. This is good if what you're after is a really sporty sedan, and lots of people are. But if you're after room and luxury and don't have a passion for driving then IMO a BMW is not a good fit. (though they are very nice cars). Also, be sure to call your insurance company to see what it costs to insure everything you're looking at. Bimmers are pretty expensive to insure, and parts and service are expensive.
If you like room you probably won't like the A4, though it also is a very nice car (I'm biased I own one :)). However, it won't have the super sporty drive of the Bimmer or the plush luxurious Cadillac-like feel of the Lexus. I recommend avoiding the sport package. Even with the 17" wheels the new ones somehow aren't as harsh as mine (which is pretty stiffly sprung but not BMW stiff - don't worry it handles quite nicely thank you :D). The non-sport package A4s are more comfy. And the interior is really cool. If you can afford it look at the 3.0 V6 A4. It's loaded with niceties such as REAL WOOD interior trim (I HATE the plasta-wood on the Japanese hiline cars) and power seats. The lush interior of my 2.8 with all that burled wood puts a smile on my face every time I get in.
Finally, take a look at the Passat by all means. Though it does not have quite the "prestige" nameplate of the others it is a really speacial automobile, and 100% German in manufacture and feel. My fiance's Passat 1.8T five speed is really great, and the V6 ones are even nicer. Lots of amenities and very cool.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Nice automobile, Dave! :emoji_thumbsup:
"People who think an ES300 is a "glorified" Toyota Camry have never driven a Lexus. *or* they have driven both cars, and just don't know, realize, nor understand the difference."
Rrrrrrriiiiiiggghhhht.
Andy, you're right that the ES300 and the Camry are not EXACTLY the same car, but they are BASICALLY the same car. Sure, the sheetmetal is a little different, the Lexus has a little nicer interior with more insulation, and the Lexus has a better warranty, but everything else is pretty much the same. If the prestige, at least among the average person, warranty, and a few more creature comforts are worth $10,000-$15,000 to you, then, by all means, get the Lexus over the Camry.
Also, it sounds like the Lexus is a better fit for you. It does have a lot of room, it is very quiet, and it does have a smooth ride. The BMW 3-Series is an enthusiasts car, but, unfortunately, it's primarily bought by yuppies who don't know anything about it, except that it says "BMW."
If you're looking for something in-between the BMW and the Lexus, the Audi A4 3.0 Quattro might be a good automobile to look at. The Audi maintains much of the BMW's solidity and sporting edge, but it is a little bigger, has a softer ride, and has a more luxurious interior.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
From the Kelly Blue Book:

Camry LE-V6 base price: $22,745

Lexus ES300 base price: $32,080

Both are comparably equipped (e.g. V6, automatic, cloth seats, power windows and door locks, etc.)

Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura would like to thank Andy and people like him for putting food on their tables.

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura would like to thank Andy and people like him for putting food on their tables.
Safe to say your opinions have been rendered useless by such an incredibly rude and ignorant comment.

Congrats, you are the first person to try and ruin a very informative thread to date...

Andy

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Andy, yes the latter portion of my post was rude, but your "ignorant" comment is misplaced.

Your responses to my posts have been flagrantly antagonistic. It appears you have your heart set on the ES300, so please buy it, as you truly deserve it. Although you claim to be asking for advice, as with most people, you're looking only for affirmation.

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
did not said:
Point out exactly one place that I have been "flagrantly antagonistic" in my response(not plural) to you. Remember that I responded exactly ONCE to you before you made that rude comment.
If posting the base prices of cars and posting a link to a review, with NO OTHER WORDS, is considered "flagrantly antagonistic" to you than I apologize. I was honestly trying to share some information I had found.
Since that was the ONLY post I made in response to you before you made that comment, I am curious as to what you considered "flagrantly antagonistic" in the EXACTLY 19 words I wrote plus a link before you made that comment...
I won't comment on your last sentence as it stands on its own.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks