What's new

Anyone own a JBL PB12 and is happy with it? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I have just purchased a JBL PB12, and I would like to know if anyone reading this has one of these subs and is happy with it.

I *cannot* spend more than $300 on a sub at this time, so please, nobody try to sell me an SVS. I'm sure that they're better than this one, but I don't have the cash, or the living conditions (I live in a townhouse with neighbors on both sides) to justify saving up for an SVS. I believe the capabilities of such a sub would be wasted.

I am upgrading from the Sub that came with my Kenwood HTB 504, so I'm certain that I'll notice a difference.

Any tweaks PB12 owners can recommend? Should I buy a slab to put it on?

Or, is there any other subs that would compete with the PB12 that are $300 or less? How about that Sony model?

Greg Br

Second Unit
I can offer a little advise on this. I owned a PB-12 for a while before upgrading, its inevitable. I think for the money, I paid 250+shipping, that this sub performs very well. I also listened to the $699 deftec 15+ and my felling was the jbl was just a step below for $400 less. Another popular sub is the Adire Riva for $399 but you said 300. I believe the jbl is a better sub than the sony. I used a 1" thik piece of plywood and that seemed to add a little. Many things sounded good with the jbl, it can pound very well, just remember for the money it will not shake your room or kick you in the stomach, but it makes for a good sounding movie.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I have the same housing situation but I have the PB10. It sits in the far corner in the rear of the living room at the back of the house. I too keep my neighbors (great on both sides) in mind when adjusting output. On my thick carpet I have the PB10 resting on a nice 3/4" piece of speckled granite 16" sq....works like a charm. Just wish I could've found thick enough marble for the $.
If you haven't already, check out http://www.consumerreview.com/
and read the happy owners.
Also, experiment with the port distance from the wall. I tried every direction but upside down.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the PB12 since Nov. 2001 and I really like it. I got the extended warranty since I had heard of problems with the amps in them. So far I haven't seen any problems except at very low volumes it goes into standby.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My boy Mark bought one, and it's effortless. Well worth the bones he paid. I recommend corner loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks