What's new

Anyone own a 320 hour Tivo from WeaKnees.com? (1 Viewer)

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious if any of you guys happen to have done business with them how your upgraded tivos came out. The extra space would be nice to be able to save a show here and there to watch over several times then delete or even just keep it on the harddrive. (160gig x 2 /drool) This will be my first tivo and I figure if I'm going to get one I might as well GET ONE :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are a lot of satisfied Weaknees customers over at the Tivo Community.

160gig x 2
The Tivo OS only "sees" the first 137GB of each drive so you are wasting space. The most economical upgrade is the 120GB. Or you could just buy a 40GB model and upgrade it yourself. The instructions are at TC.

-Robert

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have no problem poping open my home brew PC for upgrades but on a brand new tivo I'd perfer not to do it myself and have some sort of warrenty via a company.

Thanks for the tip on the harddrives though. Question is the extra 34 gigs and 2 new fans worth the extra $90. Then again I could get the 120gig x 2 tivo + cooling kit ($9) for $508 compared to the $589 for the 160gig x 2. Either way it is a ton extra space than the original tivo and I will get a 180 day warranty too.

In the end you are probably right the extra 34gigs is not worth the extra $90. More so considering this isn't the only purchase I am about to make. Working on setting up my first home theater so I'm having to buy alot of other gear. An extra $90 saved is a good thing.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I got my 120GB upgrade from Weaknees. I too was nervous about voiding the warranty, but the instructions couldn't have made things easier. It didn't require an added fan and yet even with the added drive, my console actually runs cooler now than it did before the upgrade. I highly recommend adding a drive. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
You can also consider using Hinsdale. He was one of the original modifiers at the tivo forums. His best option is that he will upgrade the unit for $100 if you supply the drives. If you check out the deals at fatwallet on a regular basis, you can easily get a 120 drive for less than $100. Ship him your unit and the two drives plus $100 and he will send you back a perfectly upgraded unit (and your old drive). Your total cost will be under $300 (depending on the deal for the drive). I used his service about 1 year ago for my Sony SAT-T60 and have been very pleased. It used to be that everyone used Hinsdale, but in the last couple of years other competitors have popped up and since Hinsdale is basically one guy doing the work he doesn't really advertise. I can't yet post links but his web site is newreleasevideodotcom/hinsdale-how-to/

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks