What's new

Anyone own a 2003 BMW M3 SMG? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
If you do, please let me know how smooth it shifts when in the different automatic modes. I'd also love some pics of the exterior and all of the interior. Thank you oh-so much.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 2002 SMG coupe. I don't think the SMG software was changed for the 03 model year so I'd expect my experiences to be fairly typical.
I never use the automatic mode normally, but I did try it out once just to see how it worked. If you're after a smooth-shifting autobox feel, this is NOT the car to get. It's either smooth and too slow to shift, or harsh and quick. You can smooth the shifts yourself in manual mode by easing slightly off the gas when you change gear, never tried that in auto mode but I imagine it's harder as you're not in control of the shifts yourself.
That said, I love SMG myself :)
Here's a couple of pics...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The shade/surroundings in the second picture makes the car look like a small toy model. :)

KyleS

Screenwriter
The shade/surroundings in the second picture makes the car look like a small toy model.
Too funny I was thinking the same thing. With the camera focused on just the car it makes it look like the picture was taken of a toy in front of a fake background.
KyleS
PS Great looking Car :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Actually that pic is heavily photoshopped, I was trying to bring the car out of the background but it ended up looking like a model instead :)
If you want lots more pics as well as discussion on the SMG etc, I'd recommend the M3 board at Roadfly.

Cam S

Screenwriter
www.Dtmpower.net is a great place to get info on any BMW, and I'm sure they would help you out with any questions.
Btw, I totally agree with the sex on wheels :D

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
My brother owns a BMW M3 convertible, red with black interior. It is the most awesome vehicle I have seen. The SMG transmission is so sweet!!! The shifting in "auto" mode feels very similar to a manual. It is not ultra-smooth like a Honda. It isn't designed that way. The fact that with the press of a button, you can shift gears in 60 milliseconds is amazing.
Keep in mind that the SMG transmission is a manual transmission. Even in "auto" mode, the car must engage clutch and shift. This is done automatically when chosen.
These cars aren't cheap but definitely the best value for performance, styling, and the awesome BMW craftsmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread