What's new

Anyone overclocking? (1 Viewer)

JohanK

Second Unit
Hi all. I just started playing around with overclocking both my CPU and video card. This only started b/c of some video jerkiness in certain points of Diablo2 @ 800x600 resolution.

System:

Tyan Trinity 400 mobo

Slot 1 PIII 800/133

384 MB of CL3 SDRAM

VisionTek gforce2 MX400 64MB

Enlight case w/ 300W PS

Currently, as a starting point, I've set the DIMM clock to 140MHz (CPU running @ 842.8 according to WCPUID). I can go to 150MHz in my BIOS but I was wondering if PC133 RAM chips can handle such a setting? Does one need PC150 RAM to obtain the higher overclock speed?

For the video card (which 200 MHz core and 166MHz memory clocks), I went with 225 for the core and 185 for the memory by using PowerStrip (picked these figures b/c they are on the conservative side of what I've seen reviewers obtain with gforce2 MX400 cards). I am planning on downloading 3DMark to obtain some measurements so I can fine tune. Is this the recommended procedure or should I be doing something else?

Any help/experiences/thoughts would be appreciated.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
At one time, it was a viable alternative to having to upgrade to that expensive processor but now with prices being reasonable (thank you AMD! :emoji_thumbsup: ) it's really not worth the trouble. It is fun to see what you can attain and consistently get to boot, though. ;)

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I am running an ABIT BP6 w/ dual Celeron 800's @ 1 Gig with no problems whatsoever. I use PC133. It's rock solid. Cooling fans are a must!!! I also use a Matrox 400 Dual Head. Clean output. Using dual monitors, 19" and 17". Happy with my setup...just need more HDD space for the MP3's. I set my wife's laptop up on Morpheus and my dual proc box is the server here at the house, and she is going nuts with the downloads (1 Gig in over a week). But I guess it's better than QVC!!!

Thanks

Tim

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got a Celeron 300A running at 450 in my wifes PC and a celeron 667 running at 950 in mine:)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
600 mhz p3 @ 800mhz / 133 fsb.

I can hit 850 but I want to keep everything within specs by using 133 fsb.

Aaron

JohanK

Second Unit
Dangit. Diablo2 locked up after the overclocking. I backed the video card back down to the defaults but it didn't help. I backed the FSB down to 138 MHz but my computer wouldn't turn on...D'OH!

I reset CMOS to the defaults to get computer back up and running. Whew...I thought I might have fried something.

Currently, I have the vid card back at 225/185 but I left the FSB on the CPU alone. Everything seems to be stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks