Anyone out there have experience with NETZERO?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dick, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I've been paying $22.95 per month for GWI for years (for standard, not high-speed), and have lately been seeing ads for NETZERO, which offers unlimited service for $9.95 mo. Anyone have any good/bad stories about these people? WEould I be sorry I switched to them?

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I've been paying $22.95 per month for GWI for years (for standard, not high-speed), and have lately been seeing ads for NETZERO, which offers unlimited service for $9.95 mo. Anyone have any good/bad stories about these people? WEould I be sorry I switched to them?

3. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    The one thing to look out for is if there will be a local number to call. it is in the fine print on there commercials additional charges may apply so I would check that out before switching!

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    The one thing to look out for is if there will be a local number to call. it is in the fine print on there commercials additional charges may apply so I would check that out before switching!

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I know some folks that have used NetZero's premium service (they used to have a free service) and they have no complaints.

You should be able to check their website for access #'s to see if there's on that's local to you.

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I know some folks that have used NetZero's premium service (they used to have a free service) and they have no complaints.

You should be able to check their website for access #'s to see if there's on that's local to you.

7. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I used their free service for about a year and got an occasional busy signal. Maybe you should try that option before upgrading. I've been on their premium service for almost two years and I can't complain too much. Unfortunately, I get a poor connection (28-33k) due to telephone company configuration. Because of this, doing a modest 5-10MB download takes a long time. Even during a modest download as described above I'll get disconnected. I believe it's for inactivity. But, on the other hand, I can browse for hours and it very rarely happens. That's really the only gripe I have. So, if you do a lot of unattended downloading, beware.

Mike LS: Howdie' neighbor!

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Hey John. Always good to bump into someone from aound town. I'm actually on the southside, but nobody else around here would know where in the world Stockbridge is.....

Does Netzero even offer free internet any more? I thought they did away with that awhile back. Or maybe I'm thinking of Juno.....

9. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Oops...maybe they did. I didn't know that. I've been paying $9.95 for a while now.

Mike LS: I know exactly where Stockbridge is. I passed through it on my way to AMS in October for the Fall race. Have you ever heard of Acworth?

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I would recommend going to www.freedomlist.com as they have a huge list of cheap dial-up isps and when you go thru them most won't charge a setup fee (most of the cheaper ones do this). The second part of this site I like is the feedback that customers give of their experience with the various isps in some cases some point out their area as well. I personally have Access-4-Free as my backup since they're cheap (first 10 hours are free, $1/hr up to 10 hours after the first 10, and no more than $10 month for unlimited use), fast (lowest connected speed 52K but usually get the 53,333), and never seem to be busy in my area (and never have been disconnected). Highly recommended and hope this helps.

11. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

As others have said, check if they have a # that is local for you.

I had this about 2 years ago, and as others have said, huge downloads take a long time and disconnects do happen.

If all you want to do is go online and check your e-mail and visit websites, this is a good and cheap way to go. Worked for me pretty good.

They also have a High Speed Internet service for around $15.00 a month, don't know the exact details or what equipment you need.

If you're on the internet a lot, check with your phone company to see if they offer special pricing on "Unlimited Local Calls" or something like that.

I remember when K-Mart offered Free internet service, I had that for a short time then they decided to start charging and I think first it went to $10 a month then to $%15 a month, that's when I went to NetZero.

Also Juno is at the same price as NetZero, actually it may be the same company.