What's new

Anyone out there affected by the tragedy? (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to jump in here and ask, particularly those who live in the New York and Washington DC areas, if any of you been affected directly by what happened on Tuesday. At the Bits, we're really disheartened to learn just how many of our readers were in the area, or God forbid were actually in the towers, when this tragedy occurred. I've gotten e-mail from both readers and industry friends of the Bits who were directly involved in this. This is a community, and I just wanted you all to know that we share your pain. Best to all of you...
------------------
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
[email protected]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
As mentioned in another thread. My girlfriend's close friend and co-worker was on business in the WTC and called right after the first plane hit. He was scared, didn't know what was happening, said the place was filling with smoke and that there was building panic. He was then cut off and has not been heard from since. He was on the either the 82nd 92nd floor. I don't remember which.
My girlfriend personally knew at least a dozen people that worked in the WTC because of her job and only two have been heard from. The rest are officially missing. Her entire company has spent this week watching the TV and praying that their phones ring with good news.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Many have said this, but If i had gotten through on the phone to a office on monday which was nearby the WTC i would have been in the area for a job interview which im thankfull I was not. I have many friends who live in that area who all Im'd me immediately to say they were ok, and also many who go to school in that area including Styvesant High and NYU college. Many had to walk home back to queens since everything was closed, so they couldnt contact anyone right away. I know many firefighters and police officers who have been at ground zero, and after they come home shower and rest for a bit they go right back there to continue. I have seen many people in my neighborhood who are injured,and i know of many people who are missing.
I would like to thank everyone around the world who have supported people here in NY, Washington and in the rest of the United States in this terrible time
thank
capt

Steven K

Supporting Actor
My fiancee's uncle works for the FBI in NYC. After the first plane hit, he went in right away to conduct a preliminary investigation. He was in the first building when the second plane hit.
Fortunately, he was able to get out and was not seriously injured. However, he's been putting in very long hours.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
One of my best friends from Tech was doing contract software design work at the WTC, and he was late to work and after seeing the first building on fire, he just walked away. He was already on his way back to his apt when the second plane hit.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
Well I wasn't affected personally by the tragedy but I have been in the aftermaths of it. I get occasional stares and glances by people because I am of Middle Eastern descent but that I was expecting. However what i was not expecting was having my friends family restaurant burnt down last night as an obvious form of hate crime. Reports like these are coming all over the U.S. and it saddens me to think that some of us in the U.S. feel that just cause of our Ethnicity and or Religion, that we had something to do with the tragedy that occured on Tuesday. I was appauled and saddened by what had happened on Tuesday as was most of the American's living here regardless of the color of my skin. Reading and hearing things like, "All arabs need to be rounded up and put into camps so they can be questioned" just shows me how racist some Americans are and can be. These statements and feelings is NOT going to be moving us in a forward direction but rather in a backward motion of all that we have accomplished as Americans, regardless of race. My thought and prayers are extended to all that have been affected by this tragic event and that will be in the days, months and years to come.
[Edited last by Youssef on September 13, 2001 at 06:35 PM]
[Edited last by Youssef on September 13, 2001 at 06:39 PM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
quote: Reading and hearing things like, "All arabs need to be rounded up and put into camps so they can be questioned" just shows me how racist some Americans are and can be.[/quote]
Youssef, I think that's the most disturbing thing I've heard since Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, America (like every other nation in the world) has a history of racial hatred. I hope and pray that we avoid situations like the German lynchings and Camp Manzanar of the 40s. Please, God, let us learn from our history.
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on September 13, 2001 at 06:46 PM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I live in Albany, just 150 miles north of NY. My uncle (with offices in Albany and NYC) works just two blocks from the WTC. This is all too real for us all. I have written a poem regarding the events, to get out some of what I am feeling:
Fabric of America
By Adam Lenhardt
Twin pillars, symbols of human achievement, lay in rubble in U.S. streets.
A turning point in U.S. history, a new chapter in humanity's legacy,
For from the ashes comes a nation of the people, by the people, for the people
United once more against those who would deny us our freedom.
Now, but two days from the tragedy, terrorists have learned a powerful lesson
Those who are granted freedom will stand firm to protect it.
And a nation once assured of it's own protection,
Has been forced at last to open it's eyes to a harsh reality.
To those who would celebrate the death of innocent lives,
Watch as your terror brings about a powerful, patriotic resolve.
You may have scarred the physical fabric of our nation,
But you have bound the emotional fabric in ways you have yet to see.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
[Edited last by Adam Lenhardt on September 13, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
I worked in 7 World Trade Center and was there at 8:48 AM, the time of the first crash. WE left the floor immediately and went down to the lobby ( I worked on floor 38) by elevator.
We were evacuated by 9:15. I eventually got home safely, as did all who work for my company from my building.
My coworkers son, though, worked in 103 of the North Tower for Cantor & Fitzgerald. He called his mother minutes after the crash and told her he didnt think he was going to make it. Hes one of the missing 5000.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Larry,
As we have met once before, I am relieved to hear that you made it....my heart goes out to your co-worker and his family.
Eric.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
With heavy heart I write this...
As many of you know me, my wild sense of humor and hyper activity, I must say that this tragedy has effected me terribly. I have on numerous occasion had to fight off
tears.
See, I was to be in NY that morning, in fact I was to be 3 blocks away at a meeting at 8:45am then to meet up with Ron E later that afternoon to attend and industry function.
The look of shear horror and relief on the face of my assistant as I walked into the office at 9:15am will be forever etched in my mind. I missed my train that morning.....
Tomorrow night, I will spend time in NY with some close friends that were in that building at the time of the crash. Physically they are fine, mentally.... I don't think that
they will ever be the same.
One, who worked in the World Finance Center has been so traumatized that he has packed his bags and started driving out of NY for CA, today. He left so fast, I didn't even get the chance to say good bye.
Saturday will be spent in NY to assist in any way shape or form and to attend Father Judge's funeral.
Next week, I am scheduled to fly to LA. As much as I can't wait to spend time with my HT friends. I find myself being a tad apprehensive about going. I am starting to have personal guilt for attempting to erase the memory of the events that occurred on 9/11. As more bodies are going to be pulled from the rubble by exhausted Americans in the week to come, I have plans to be in LA and partying like nothing has happened.
I am torn here, as this just doesn't sit well with me.
Heighten security surrounding our daily activities, USA on alert, possible air strikes against this terrorist community are all cards that will be played in the upcoming weeks.
I haven't slept well since Tuesday.
Dugger

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
What amazes me is that so many people that I know have either a friend or relative is waiting for news on a family member that is missing. The sheer scope of the people affected by this boggles the mind.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a teacher and we had a bomb threat today. I teach in Elizabeth, NJ which is 2 minutes from Newark, and about 10 from NYC. Around 8:25 someone called and said that there was bomb in one of the Elizabeth schools. I started to freak out because the door of my classroom was found unlocked after I locked it yesterday.. I had to get my kids out of there quickly, but not to cause panic because I also has some parents still there. Finally around 8:45 everything was found out to be ok when they found out that some punk high school kid called it in. I know nothing happened, but living everyday (especially around the NYC are) is becoming paranoid.
On another point, I live about 10 minutes from McGuire Air Force Base and for the last two days, there have been ALL types of Fighters flying over my house. One woke me up at 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday night and it was so loud that I thought we were getting bombed. I'm sure that they are running drills to prepare, and it gives me shot of pride to see that we are about to kick some terrorist ass.
I'll admit...I'm scared a bit, but I'm also pissed as hell. I was born in St. Vincent's and my dad used to work near there when I was a kid. I remember how much I was blown away when the towers were so tall that they went into the clouds on a foggy day. It made it seem as if they never stopped going up and were invincible.
I just hope that when we take the war to the Middle East, they don't somehow hurt more of us here. That's my biggest fear. My cousin Danny that's in the Marines got a call that said that he could be called in anytime and to tell his family to stock up on food. I don't know whether to be scared or proud.
Maybe i'll be both.
Sorry about the rant, but I'm just trying to deal like the rest of us.
-Ramon

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/shattered/9.html
The woman on the left is my project manager's wife; she was on the 90th floor of the North Tower, and *barely* escaped with her life.
One of my best friends was coming up from the PATH train into the WTC mall area when the first plane hit; he said there was mass confusion as the building rumbled, and people took off in a panic in all directions, some leaving shoes in their places. He made it out okay, but is still unnerved by the whole experience.
Another friend of mine just exited the South Tower from coming in on the PATH when, after picking up some debris and wondering what was going on as he crosed Liberty Street, he heard the roar of the second plane, looked up, and watched in horror as it slammed into the South Tower; he bolted away from the scene and made it to work safely.
I personally watched a short few miles away, from the Union City cliffside overlooking the Hudson River, the immediate aftermath of the falling South Tower, just having missed its collapse by seconds. I watched the cloud of smoke scatter across the Hudson and all about the buildings surrounding the former tower. I was in total disbelief, staring dumbfoundedly at the remaining North Tower, watching as flames and smoke continued to shoot out.
Yes, I'd say I've been affected by it. And I'm extremely grateful that all my friends and all of the people they know are okay and well.
Looking at the Manhattan skyline from now until the day they rebuild...I'll always be reminded of that day.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Directly? No as I am a Los Angeleno.
However my very good college friend Phil Hopkins was in NY and I have not heard from him since. I've only got his voicemailbox in 3 calls.
My former roommate and ex, Virginia was near ground zero but emailed me that she was safe. Although she did say "I saw things with my naked eye that I wish I had never seen..." and she's not prone to drama.

Derrik N

Grip
As a result of the terrorist attacks, some in my family (converted Muslims who work in a school) have recieved death threats. And the school they work at has recieved numerous bomb threats. They have closed their doors until this knee-jerk racist reaction dies down.
------------------
Derri(NO "c")k

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to say this without being political. Feel free to delete if too insensitive.
To Youssef (and any other people of Middle-Eastern descent):
I would just like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for your current predicament. I would also like to emphasize that there is a much larger percentage of decent Americans who do know better than to judge a person by what they see on the outside. I cannot begin to understand the narrow mindset required to harbor such egregiously poor thought processes, nor do I wish to understand. I, unfortunately, work with a gentleman whose mindset is just like the people you describe. And it makes me sick.
This is a time for we as a nation to realize that we are one nation of many faces. This land was brought to its current status by the toil, sweat, and tears of people of every race, religion, and creed. And no one is free from this tragedy. I pray that you do not lose your faith in and love for this great land of ours due to the ignorance of the small percentage who truly do not understand they are citizens of a cosmopolitan nation, and a varied world. I pray that those who do understand this will rise up strong, and we become a beacon of hope, not just for our nation, but for the world. I pray that from the highest peaks in Tibet to the lowest valleys of Mesopotamia we come to understand that we are one world, and we have to learn to love our neighbors. It's not just the American way. It's the human way.
Youssef, know that you are my American brother, and I say that proudly. People commtting these heinous acts of racism are not what America stands for. We are a nation of many, but now is the time for us to show we are one world. Peace, my brothers. Peace.
------------------
Love kills hate.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Directly? No.
Luckily all my close friends here are fine.
I have several acquaintances who are firemen and police officers and I'm very concerned about them. Unfortunately, they're just guys I know from my gym, talk and joke with between sets, I don't think I know any of their last names. I don't suppose I'll know if they're alive until I see them again. Considering the rescue efforts that will be a long time.
I ran into another neighborhood acquaintance in the past day who was there and got out okay. I hadn't even known he worked near the WTC.
As a New Yorker I'm breaking new ground in that I'm *happy* to see *everyone* I see. In the past day I've been thrilled to see two people I don't even like.
My Dad, who also works in the city, is mercifully fine. He called me quickly after it happened (he actually woke me up) to find out that I was okay and to tell me he was. When he told me a plane had hit the tower, I pictured a small plane. When I turned on the TV and saw only one tower I just couldn't comprehend the reality of it being gone. Then the other tower collapsed.
My Dad knew some people through work on the 70-something floor of the North Tower. Unfortunately he assumes they all died.
I live on the upper east side of Manhattan, maybe four miles north of the towers. I went outside, looked down second avenue to see what the towers not being there looked like, not really expecting to see that far, and there was just this huge cloud of smoke. On Wednesday, the wind blew north and I could feel the smoke in my eyes, my throat, my lungs, and I just couldn't shake the thought that I was breathing people's ashes.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
A cousin of mine is a federal agent working for the IRS (I think!). He was apparently in one of the WTC buildings when the first plane (again, I think) hit. I've heard from my uncle that my cousin Jeffrey and a co-worker of his were helping to pull people out of the building before they were put into a car and transported away to some command center of sorts.
Luckilly it seems they only got moderately bruised.
I have a cousin who is a union rep for the NY fire department. I can't believe what's going on there right now..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks