Anyone Order from Dell?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Aug 26, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Quesstions

1)How reliabable are their computeres and support?

2)We already have a monitor, can we exclude this and speakers from the order to knock off the price?

3)After 5 years, time for a new system. Is the DVD Burner4XD going to be from Helwet Packard? Do they do Buiseness with ATI for an AIW System? Also, My computer is going to need to be multimedia intensive..

Hows this for specs??
    Dell Dimension 8300 Series: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.60GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology SP268H [221-2702]

Memory: 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M) 512M4 [311-3001]

Keyboard: Dell™ Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse WIREKM [310-4164]

Monitors: 17 in (16 in viewable,.27dp) E773c CRT Monitor E773 [320-4600]

Video Card: 64MB DDR ATI All-in-Wonder® 9000 Pro(w/TV/DVD/Video Functionality) 64TVT [320-4551][340-8028]

Hard Drive: New 120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 120G [340-8151]

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: No Floppy Drive Included NFD [340-8442]

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP [412-0409][420-1922][313-7222]

Network Interface: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0412]

Network Interface: Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0412]

CD orDVD Drive: 4x DVD+RW/+R Drive w/CD-RW including Roxios Easy CD Creator® 4DVW995 [430-0462][313-1464][430-0428]

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card SB1024 [313-6010][313-1932]

Speakers: Altec Lansing® ADA745 4.1 Surround Sound Speakers w/ Subwoofer ADA745 [313-1426]

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    you will find that people have had good and bad experiences with all manufacturers. ive had great success with dell, i think they are successful for a reason.

CJ

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am on my third Dell, and am happy, HOWEVER, being active in various forums, including Dell's own, my observation has been that generally Dell's systems are problem free, BUT, if you ever get problems with their systems, support is largely pretty useless (I suppose same can be said for pretty much everybody else these days).

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Yes, you can exclude the monitor and save yourself some money. You'll have this option if you click on Customize or some such during the purchase process. You can choose software and hardware upgrades and downgrades as you see fit.

5. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

We have 3 Dells. They are well made and have been mostly trouble free (CD drive went on one after a couple of years, but easily replaced).

I did order some memory modules from Dell and they completely screwed that up. The DIMMs didn't work and it took forever going around with their "support" to return them. I eventually bought from Crucial who had no problem sending the right stuff.

So it's a mixed review. I really like the Dell machines but I would hate to have to ever deal with their support again.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK, a few questions....Especially for those who've ordered this series of machines..

How are the innards configured? Are they easy to access and isntall new extra drives if needed? I just found out I'll be getting the Dell DVD Burner, and so far I've only had experience with the HP DVD Burner. Is one better than the other?

Same goes for the Hard Drive. It'the one listed above, but it's not a Western Digital(Don't know if it's an 8MB Buffer). The Western Digital has acted perfectly and I don't really want to try another brand..

We have untill midnight to place the order..

thanks for any help [​IMG]

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I have a Dell 8250 and I think all of their current computers are designed to be easy to work on. You don't even need tolls to get into the case, which is hinged to open like the hood of a car.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I just bought my first Dell (the 8250) last
    December. It was their top of the line P4 3.06.

Up until this point, for years past, I had
    all my computers custom built. This tends to
    get very expensive so I decided I would go for
    a company manufactured unit.

On the plus side, the Dell is the absolute
    best computer I have ever owned. You can tell
    that there is a lot of quality thought put into
    the construction of this computer. As noted in
    the previous post, the case opens very easily
    (on a hindge), and everything is neatly wired
    inside.

This is also the quietest computer I ever owned.
    I can't even hear that it's on.

With the purchase of a Dell computer you
    get 1-year in-home service FREE, which has come
    in very handy for me, as I will explain below...

Had problems with my computer fan. It just
    died after 8 months. Had someone over here to
    replace it within a few days at no charge.

On the down side, Dell Customer Support
    is pretty lackluster. They keep you on hold for
    a good 20+ minutes, and the phones are manned by
    "generic" operators who are mostly foreign and
    thus, you may have problems understanding.

Dell promised a Tech to my home within 2 days,
    and it ended up taking 4 without the company even
    giving me a courtesy phone call to say they were
    not showing up at the promised date and time.

Still, I am VERY satisfied with this computer
    and the fact that it came with 1-Year in home
    service included. For that reason, I would not
    hesitate to buy a Dell again in another year or
    two.

9. chr1s

chr1s Auditioning

Ordering from Dell : Never had a problem and very happy with what i got. Ive only ordered one or two things but from what i hear, if you have a problem with something they seem to be on the ball with getting your order right out to you.

Support from Dell : This is hit and miss, it depends who/where you get put through to.
    Nine times out of ten i have been put through to the India call centre and, although in the end i get my query resolved, its a nightmare getting there.
    Im usually on the phone for at least 25 mins before i get the support i need.

I will continue to order from Dell but thats only because i personally havent had any bad experiences with my orders in the past.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I've helped family members order from both Dell and HP and in my experience HP makes a better PC. The case looks & feels better, is just as quiet as a Dell, and most importantly there's much less bloatware pre-installed. Only issue when we ordered one was HP didn't seem to be as customizable as a Dell, not sure if that's changed.

I have dealt with Dell tech support (which wasn't a pleasant experience) but not HP yet so can't make a fair comparison there.

11. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I will order from Dell again and even get their "extended" warranty. My account with them is a small business account so anything that happen they repair/resolve it on-site, next business day.
    As for calling it in, I've made a switch to just chatting with a tech. Indian. American or from Mars, if the guy can type english, we get to understand each other and get the message across. My phone isn't clogged up and I even get a copy of the whole conversation sent to me for reference.
    I will be getting a new laptop for my son in a few weeks as his is showing its age and he can't play the newer games on it. I'm just waiting on a bunch of stackable coupons and a promo that I can pay it off in a year or so.

12. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have a Dell and although it performs well at the present time, I will never order another one. I tend to build my own and since I needed a computer quickly, I ended up ordering a Dell. If you do order one keep a few things in mind.

1. The video and audio cards are OEM and do not reflect the retail equilavent. While up to this point the video is okay, the sound card doesn not have the full functionality of its retail bretheren. In particular the SPDIF is disabled and thus, I cannot use the fibre optic option I should have. So make sure you know the cards you are getting. You may be better off getting one without any cards and buying the retail versions.

2. Memory. I ordered 2 gig of memory thinking that later I can upgrade to four or eight. Well the bastards put 2 gig across all the slots rather just putting a 2 gig strip in. Now I have to buy all new memory to get four gig instead of just buying an additonal two. So make sure the memory is installed in a configuration that will allow easy updating.

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

14. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Regarding your setup:

What do you mean by multimedia intensive? Depending on what that means I would prefer a higher-end graphics card and an SATA hard drive.

Also, no matter what you plan to do with it, I would plan to get more RAM. You don't necessarily need to get it from Dell, you could order it from NewEgg and it may be cheaper. I would have an absolute minimum of 1GB.