Anyone one Buy Joyride yet and if you did

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

how good is it and what are your comments on it. will it be worth picking up or avoiding.

2. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

The disc is pretty good, and no complaints with the presentation so far. The inclusion of four alternate endings is interguing. THe theatrical release does not user the originally filmed ending, and if you have seen the film, the changes start at the "naked truck stop" scene. The various endings totaly change the film, IMHO.

The cut scenes and endings are all fairly poor quality, simple video transfers, rather then from film, it looks like.

Sound is good, not outstanding, but good, and I have not listened to the Commentaries yet.

3. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I picked it up today, and if you like intense, visceral thrillers, then this one is quite good.

The features are nice too, with three different commentaries.

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Bought it today sight unseen and thought it was a pretty good movie. The transfer is nice and the sound is very good(some pretty good bass response at times). Overall I am not sorry i got it.

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I saw this one in the theater and though it was great. The DVD is pretty sweet with a razor-sharp image and an effective 5.1 soundtrack. The extras are good too, though the original ending...
    climaxes with a spectacularly obvious ripoff of Jaws. It's interesting to see these other endings, but the "he's still out there" one in the final cut is the best.

6. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Joy Ride is, IMO, the best genre exercise of last year. A superb thriller all around, beautifully photographed, and with a rich subtext about predatory sex.

I haven't seen all the extras yet, but the DVD looks and sounds very good. Seems like a great disc.

Mark

7. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Just saw it. IMHO a good rental. What's with the 3 separate commentaries though, seems like that's going overboard. I will say that this disc looks and sounds great - many of the scenes looked three dimensional on my Toshiba 40H80. The last DVD i had in my player A.I. was somewhat "grainy" [​IMG]

8. Don

Don Second Unit

Paul a lot of People have been complaining about A.I. being grainy i'm not sure why but i wish i knew it is the dvd not your player Don,

9. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen Joy Ride, so compared to the first 30 minutes of Jeepers Creepers (which I liked a lot), Joy Ride is:

A) Pretty similar

B) Better

C) Worse

D) Too different to compare

???

Thanks.

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I loved it from the first time I saw it at the theater. Sadly it was overlooked though..

The DVD is great. The anamorphic widescreen transfer is fantastic, and the sound is great. Extras are also good. you could do a lot worse than pick this one up.

11. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Bought the movie right away, LOVE IT. Great movie!

12. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Pretty good flick. Great transfer from Fox, sound is very good also. Comparing it to Jeepers Creepers... A) Pretty similar, Joy Ride didn't make me jump as much. Very enjoyable movie for the most part, a couple of poorly written scenes but that's about the worst of it. Steve Zahn is a funny man. I'd buy it if the price is right.
    Steve

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

A.) Pretty similar, in the respect of college students on a road trip from hell, but other than that, it's pretty different.

14. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I love it when I pick up a movie and just love it when I'm done!!!

This is a very very good thriller with surprisingly little violence. Word of mouth is going to really generate a lot of sales for this title!

15. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Ok, if you are intrested in an "official" review of the film you can find one at DVDfile now. I tend to agree with the reviewer about the film it's self. But I thought it was one of the better "excapist" films from last year, and as mentioned before it has Leelee in it...
    I enjoyed the actor's commentary, and the extras found on this disc were OUTSTANDING, especially, like the reviewer stated for a non-five star release.

16. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Watch this film, excellent fun. There are slight problems with the writing in some scenes, but you will have fun with your mates!
    The sound is excellent!!! The LFE will shake the house! The transfer is virtually perfect except for a couple of shots.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

i like all 4 commentaries. the one with the teenager in it is easily the most intresting of the 4

18. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

Wow, this movie looked really bad to me. Guess I will have to make a trip to the video store to check it out.

19. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

It isn't very often that you'll find a film with 29-minute alternate ending! I bought this one sight-unseen and really enjoyed it (was already a fan of director John Dahl). I think they made the right choice with the ending they chose, although the transition from the original film to the new material is a bit ackward.

20. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

The ending made perfect sense to me Covers up a few plot holes, doesn't it? Like the ICE truck driver earlier in the flick.