Anyone nearing completion of an BP1803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Can't remember how long ago it was everyone was excited becuase they where recieving their 1803's, but I have yet to see a post about a completed one.

What allignments have you lucky few with an 1803 in their hands choosen to build?

Ah, if your doing a 1203 or a 1503 speak up too.

If things work out, I'm thinking about an 1803 in 340L tuned to 16hz using an 8" port driven by QSC RMX 850 sometime next summer. Any thoughts on this allignment? Anyone building something similar?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I managed to get access to a copy of LspCAD that let me enter a BP1803 in. With 800 watts applied and all my room dimensions entered, it was going a couple mm past xmax. Does that seem wrong to you? Although it was predicting a little over 115db at my listening position all the way down to 16hz [​IMG]

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Hehe, oops, for some reason I thought you entered the drivers Xmax as one way in LspCAD. So I was just barely getting past half of it's capabilities.

5. Jon Hancock

Jon Hancock Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm suffering from project over load and overload at work, so MY BP1203's are sitting in their cute little crates.
    One will be built into a 44 liter sealed box with EQ for my girlfriend's master bedroom, the other will be built into a Aerial Stryke project, similar to the SW-12.
    [​IMG]
    This ported one will be used with a zero feedback crossover circuit I've been working on, crossed over at about 75 Hz to some 8" two way's I've been working on (Eton and Accuton drivers).
    I'll report back when results are available.
    Regards,
    Jon

6. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at a very similar alignment for my dad. Approx 350l, tuned to 18hz, with the rmx850 bridged. This looks like about 118db from just over 20hz up. The trick is that the net volume needs to be 350l, and the port is huge. I am thinking about a slot port, maybe bent and exiting at the bottom, or maybe venting at the top rear. This gives a cabinet about 24x24x64 inches with double thick walls. That may be too big, gotta check with him and run a couple of options past him. Alternately we could give up a few db, eq it and use a 200l box, but you give up about 3db... hmm.

Vince

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What is Xmech on the thing anyway?

Ya, the designs I was playing with where over 120db in Unibox. But they fall to between 115-120 at my listening position in LspCAD. Which I guess if the sound quality is great would make it a perfect sub. Great sound and capable of reference level bass at my listening position. But I would need the QSC RMX 1450 to pass the 115 mark.

Would it be possible to remove the outer case of a RMX series amp, then build a new larger one for it with more vent space? Then say take out the fan that is in it and replace it with an 8cm Panasonic Panaflow fan (20db when up close to it) built into the new case? Or does the case of these amps have something to do with the ground?