Anyone miss Dolby/DTS trailers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I know we still get the DTS sonic landscape trailer on most DVD's with DTS, but anyone miss the old school Dolby and DTS trailers? I still remember seeing the Dolby Digital (at the time called Dolby Surround AC-3 Digital) trailer on my Goldeneye laserdisc. Also, I think that the DTS Digital Experience trailer is so much better that the Sonic Landscape one: it's so much louder and robust. Anyhow, anyone think they should include those Dolby trailers once in awhile? I know Dolby Digital is the standard sound on a DVD, but it is still cool to see those trailers before a movie. I'm so pathetic: when I have guests over to watch films, from time to time I will run the dolby trailer off of a laserdisc and then switch over to the film on the DVD. The audience is listening...

AJ Garman

2. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    The German Januar "DVD Magazin" Came with a DVD with comming previews for several film in the theater and on DVD and as a extra gave four or five Dolby trailers and two for DTS. Here is the web site dvd-magazin if your system does PAL.
    kd

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That's one of the reasons Ilove the Terminator 2 UE DVD so much because it has both DD and dts trailers.

4. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

I was so surprised when the movie Evolution came out with the digital experience trailer rather than the sonic soundscape one. I still think they should go acording to what type of movie it is for both Dolby and DTS.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Anchor Bay regularly puts the Dolby Digital Egyptian trailer on all their DD-EX/DTS-ES discs.

6. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Region 2 DVDs seem to contain more Dolby trailers than Region 1 DVDs. For example, when you start the movie on the R2 “Godzilla” disc, you first get the “Helicopter” Dolby trailer, which is nicely appropriate in style for the movie. I understand that the R1 edition has no Dolby trailer(?)
    As for demo DVDs, a THX trailer disc given away last year by French magazine “Les Annees Laser” starts with a sound option menu. Choosing Dolby Digital or (full bitrate) DTS triggers the appropriate sound trailer (Dolby’s is the “Space Ribbon”). However, the disc also features several Easter Eggs, including three further Dolby trailers – “Water Drops”, “Steam Train” and “Temple”. To access these you simply click on three different stars on the main menu backdrop (and there are also some other Easter Eggs which I can post if anyone's interested).
    This disc is labelled as Region 2, but happily plays with my US player set to Region 1. However, I’m fairly certain that it’s PAL. If anybody wants to try to get a back issue of the magazine they may still be available at http://www.annees-laser.com/collector-3.php3

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    The Steamtrain DD trailer is the same one used on the Phantom Menace LD, yes?

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Lately I find myself skipping past DTS, THX and DD trailers -- anything to get to the movie faster. Maybe I've just seen them too many times.

M.

9. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

As far as I'm aware, all Region 2 Columbia Tristar DVDs (not including Universal titles) have a Dolby Digital trailer on them (hence Godzilla having one). It's usually the Helicopter trailer, but the Snatch 2-disc set had the steam-train trailer.

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Im so sick of the landscape/piano DTS intro. I love my SPR and T2 DVDs for the flying disc intro.

I do have a few R0 discs with the DD intros but I cant remember which ones.

11. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I like the piano DTS trailer, even if it isn't real loud and bombastic.
    I just bought the Region 0 Shiri 2 disc set, and on disc 2, they include several Dolby Digital trailers. They also have the DTS spinning disc trailer, but it's in Pro-Logic! [​IMG]

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Frankly, I find them annoying after awhile. If you want DD trailers, buy Bandai anime DVDs, it's on every freakin disc, downmixed to Pro-Logic for some stupid reason.

(probably because the title is pro-logic)

14. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I just watched A Beautiful Mind at a theater nearby that is DDSEX equipped and before the start they played the Dolby Digital Helicopter flying to the Cinema trailer. I thought, man that is oldschool. Then they played the newer THX trailer with the globe/cloud/thunder.

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

My favorite DD trailer hands down is the Canyon trailer. It has the best sense of "space" of any of the DD trailers I've heard (and has great split surround to boot).

I have numerous laserdiscs with this trailer, but has anyone seen a DVD with it (aside from the Dolby Demo DVDs of course)?

-Lyle J.P.

16. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

17. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

The disc that came with DVD Demystifed 2nd Ed. comes with the following Dolby Digital Trailers:
    1. Dolby Digital Aurora Trailer
    2. Dolby Digital Rain Trailer
    3. Dolby Digital Train Trailer
    4. Dolby Digital Canyon Trailer
    5. Dolby Digital Egypt Trailer
    6. Dolby Digital City Trailer
    7. Dolby Digital Game Trailer[/list=1]

The disc also includes the following DTS trailers:
      1. DTS Digital Experience Trailer
      2. DTS Sonic Landscape Trailer[/list=1]

The following THX trailers are also included:
        1. THX Grand Trailer
        2. THX TEX Trailer
        3. THX TEX 2: Moo Can Trailer (Surround EX)[/list=1]

The disc is also region-free.

DVD Demystified's website is at http://www.dvddemystified.com.

18. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I for one don't miss any trailers. When I pop in a disc, I want to watch a movie, not commercials. I fast-forward past the Dolby Digital and THX trailers every single time.

Of course, I'm sure I'm in the minority, since there are plenty of people on this forum who bought the Ultimate Toy (Story) Box for the THX Moo-Can trailer alone.

19. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Yep, Christopher, that's the one. Thanks. [​IMG]

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Riki-Oh:The Story of Riki has the Dolby Train trailer, and quite loudly I might add. Kinda gets you in the mood for a kick ass sounding movie. Unfortunatly the film is in Mono...5.1 mono. The same sound comes from every speaker. It is quite interesting and funny too, only heightens the hilarity of the film.