Anyone lower their ride?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russell B, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Russell B

Russell B Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about lowering my tacoma
    pickup. I have the stock 14" rims and the tires are 215/75/R14. I want to do a 2/3 drop, 2" front/3" back. Do you think i will have plenty of wheel well clearance, especially the front since those wheels turn? What parts are replaced and/or added in this type of work? Thanks

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Experience is always the best teacher. Learn from others that have actually done what you are trying to do. Search and find a forum for Toyota and then Tacoma owners. Their hands on experience is the best you can find. They can save you lots of time, trouble & money.
    You could also check with a few good tire/wheel companies like www.tirerack.com or even Discount tire. They, (especially The Tire Rack, ask for Luke) have a very good idea of what really fits and what doesn't.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Speaking of lowering...

I've thought of lowering my Fiero. Yes, it's ridiculously low stock, but they look even better when they're lower. The problem, of course, is the obstacles one finds that aren't friendly to super-low cars: Speed bumps, roads that aren't smooth, pulling into sloped driveways (such as my own), etc.

So, I thought, "What if I put those adjustable shock deals on there" - you know, those electric (hydraulic?) deals that people use to make their cars bounce? I've seen them in action and they can adjust from one extreme to another in half a second. That would be perfect for my car: Push a button, and it moves to the "low" preset. Encounter a parking lot full of speedbumps or a rough road, push another button for the "normal" (stock height) setting. Heck, you could even have a "high" setting. Would make a sports car look silly, but would allow you to traverse particularly nasty speedbumps that aren't normally sports-car friendly.

So, is this possible? Are there kits available that can be installed by a backyard mechanic such as myself? What kind of money would I be looking at to accomplish something like this? (and before you ask, no, I'm not interested in making my car bounce. I just want to be able to switch my ride from low to practical while driving.)

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma and the ride is bad enough as is. I have the stock wheels with P195/75R14 tires and Tokico performance shocks. I can't imagine how rough that ride will be after you lowered it.
    BTW, highly recommend tirerack.com. Also, check Toyota Racing Development (TRD) .

5. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

I think what would work best for you is an air suspension system. From what I have seen they are not impossible for a backyard guy like yourself to do. You have to mount the compressor, put the airbags on, run the lines, etc. I would do some searches on it.

I know Range Rover had this system on one of their SUVs. As you approaced cruising speed, it would lover itself for better fuel economy and stability. Need to go offroad, raise it up to increase the clearance.

Just an idea for you to look around at.

6. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Stunt Coordinator

7. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I have an 84 Toyota Van and I wouldn't even THINK about lowering it. For one, it's just a waste of money to me. For another, the lowest part of my van is the transmission and it already sits 6 inches off the ground. Yes, I scraped it on the ground once going down a driveway where it was higher in the middle. LOL Anyway, I love the way my van is and don't want to do any modifications to the suspension.

8. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

If ya know what your doing (no offense)you can get almost any car on the ground without any problems. Eg I had a 92 Camaro that I lowered or should I say slammed,the lowest part of the car was the front crossmember setting 1&1/4" off the ground.I had taken 2&1/2"out of the front & 3" out of the rear All wile rolling on some 17 inchers with 35 series rubber bands,& believe it or not I never had one problem at all even rolling at 160 out on a country road[​IMG]
    What ever you do DON'T ever heat your springs to drop your ride,if you do it do it the right way with drop spindles,springs,blocks Ext depending on what is ava for your car.
    I couldn't even begin to tell you how many cars,& stuff Ive dropped & its all pretty easy if you got the right stuff to do it with.
    Ryan,speaking of Fiero's there is two running around my town on juice which is easy to do also but involves quite bit more work,running lines,finding somewhere to put your pump or pumps,& usually making mod's that will require cutting & welding,very possible though if you wonted to do it.