What's new

Anyone looking forward to Tony Hawk Underground? (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
TH3 did get disgustingly fast. 4 was borderline too damn fast. The videos I've seen of THUG make it look rediculous. I'll likely rent, and then wait till it becomes a Greatest Hit, which is what I did with 4.

Allen>B

Agent
I felt burned by 3 and 4.

This is the first time I decided to not buy a new hawk game at launch.

I just don't trust them anymore.

I don't want to "get hot peanuts for the guards" or "knock over cones with a car", I just want VERY VERY good level design and tight controls.

I will pick up this game next year when it's in the discount bin:frowning:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
For the price of the game (and a few extra bucks), you could buy yourself a deck and actually go skateboarding, which is infinitly better than playing a game based on it.
:rolleyes

That threadcrap wasn't really necessary.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Sounds like some of the people in this thread are looking for an honest to goodness skateboarding simulation. Like it or not, the Tony Hawk series is now, and has been for a while, an action/adventure extreme sports title. It has taken on a life of its own. Obviously it's not a game that even remotely comes close to mimicing the real speeds, reactions, and move possibilities of real boarding. With each iteration, the game is further removed from physical reality

For the price of the game (and a few extra bucks), you could buy yourself a deck and actually go skateboarding
With all due respect, I don't think the fans of the Tony Hawk games consider it a replacement for the real thing. As we all know, Tony Hawk Real Skateboarding couldn't be farther apart.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you could buy JUST THE DECK for the price of the game. Don't forget that you need to buy trucks, bearings, wheels, etc.

At Skate America, a name-brand deck (like Birdhouse, Element, Toy Machine, Santa Cruz, Lucky, Shorty's, etc.) for around $50. You can get a complete board with wheels, trucks, etc. for about $100.

So, in reality, you could buy all 3 THPS games on PS2 or Xbox and still wind up paying less than the price of a complete board. ;)

Oh yeah, don't forget the cost of the hospital bills! :D

By the way, if any of you really are looking for a skateboarding simulation game, then track down a copy of Rockstar's little-known skateboarding game for the PS1 called "Thrasher: Skate and Destroy". In the expert mode of that game, you have to hit a button to land, or else you will bail!

Allen>B

Agent
It's not a sim I'm looking for. Amped does a close job for that.

I just think the hawk series lost it's touch. For example I think Aggressive Inline blew the pants off of the hawk series, and that had nothing to do with sim. Just great level design, nice feel, and the ALL important YES! feeling.

Plus it was just great that the more you did tricks, the better your skills got.

I don't want to collect SKATE ever again. (or the latest version which is collect all the deck parts)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'll agree that the 'Skate' COMBO missions got ludicrous and tiresome. In fact, attempting one such uninterrupted s-k-a-t-e combo in 'Kona' (THPS4) caused me to shelve the game. Not to mention the notorious third 'bobsled' run.

I really did enjoy part 3 quite a bit, although 2 is what got me started on the series.

I'm also a huge Aggressive Inline fan.. awesome game.

~j

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
So, I was thinking of picking this game up. Now that it's been out for a while and people have had time to play it, is it worth it, or is this game a dud?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I saw a bit of THUG this weekend and I enjoyed it - the idea of having a "character" and something of a plot really makes it more entertaining than THPS4. It's a step in the right direction.

I think Aggressive Inline beats the pants off THPS. The makers (of A.I.) realized that you have to make the basic chore of "skating around a level" consistently purposeful AND fun. It's not enough to simply get "high combos" and find a "killer line". And man, those "collection chores" really are a pain.

THPS4, in giving you wide open levels with no time limit, actually limited the fun of the series by making the player feel impotent unless a task was being performed. In the end, you're basically just selecting tasks from the goal menu anyway - and the world doesn't feel quite so "alive".

The tasks in THPS4, which ranged from easy to fun to darnright stupidly impossible, generally had time limits which, if you survived the tasks, made you feel relief but not elation. As in, "than goodness I don't have to try THAT again." So far it's more of the same in THUG, but the first two levels are full of variety and did not try my patience.

Less than "hardcore-twitch-gamers" had a rough time with THPS4. Trying and bailing a level-wide combo line two hundred times in a row is not my idea of fun.

Aggressive Inline had you levelling up based upon your move usage - THUG seems to have a similar approach, at least from what I saw. No more "stat points"? I hope so! That's right up there with SSX3's removal of the annoying trick book. :)

~s

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
THUG brought over another one of Aggressive Inline features.
A new goal type is "hitting someone's line". When you need to do this, the area glows so you know where to go.

Also, the whole, stats increasing as you grind, etc.

I think A.I. had those in it.

I liked A.I. but I barely got thru 4 levels before I was bored. I'll take the Tony Hawk games everyday over it.

The level designers for TH games are the best in the biz if you ask me.

Doug

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
The thing about the new stats system is that some of the stats are super hard to max out. I've got everything at 10 except for 'rail'. For rail, I've been stuck on 8 and can't hold a grind for 15 seconds let alone 20. This is on normal mode, I think sick mode requires you to hold a grind for 25-30 seconds, yikes! Any tips?

As for the rest of the game, I like it. For those who had problems with the difficulty on THPS4; as long as you finished about half of 4, you should have no troubles finishing THUG, at least in normal mode. It's actually a little too easy in my opinion. They should have left the cars out since they control horribly. The actual "story" of the story is pretty weak (curse you Eric Sparrow!) but all in all it's a nice addition to the THPS line.

I've finished normal and am now starting sick mode and from what I've read they made that a little too hard. They should have scratched the 'too easy' mode and made a 'hard' mode to fit in between normal and sick instead.

And I miss the COMBO lines from 4. The Pro Combo lines may have been brutal, but were very rewarding upon completion. For me, the goals that felt impossible from THPS4 were some of the specific Pro Skater challenges, that's why I never made it past 91% completion.

I can say that I'm liking it a whole lot more than agressive Inline, there's a game that I could never get into, too slow.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Mike,
The awesome thing about THUG that gives it limitless replayability is custom GOALS.

You can load up Venice Beach and put the C-O-M-B-O line anywhere you want and test it.
You can recreate almost any goal and add it to any park.
Even better, on the PS2 version, you can download the goals others have posted.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
The awesome thing about THUG that gives it limitless replayability is custom GOALS.
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I haven't fooled around with any of the Create-A- options yet. I've got the XBOX version so no downloading for me, not that I'm on XBOX Live anyway.

Currently, I'm in Tampa on Sick mode. Man, do they ever ramp up the difficulty from Normal to Sick. You've got to be a king when it comes to balancing manuals and grinds. Not an easy task when you're stats are oh so very low. It's looking like I'll have to get my stats up before going any further.

The one thing I really suck at is the "Call out the Tricks" challenges. That was the only Pro Challenge in Normal that gave me a problem and now the Sick versions are just...well, sick. If you can't pull off multiple tricks at a time you may as well give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks