1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone looking forward to Tony Hawk Underground?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tony-B, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I, for one, absolutely cannot wait to play this game! It sounds like it will be the best sports game ever made, especially with the vast amount of freedom that you have, and all the customizations.

Anyone getting it for PS2? If so, will you be playing it online? I will be doing both of those.

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

While I've really enjoyed all the Tony Hawk games, I'm a little hesitant about the new one. I'll probably get it, but part of me is still stuck on the notion that I'm buying the same game again. True, there's new levels, moves, and features, but will 5 be fundamentally different from 4? I'll probably pick up the Xbox version at some point, if only to see if they ramped up the difficulty from 4 at all.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

After #2, it always felt like I was steering a jet powered skateboard. I'll pass this time around. I'd love a new Aggressive Inline, but I think that series died before it became a series.

-Dave

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I played 2 at Best Buy on a demo PSX machine before 3 came out. I was hooked. Picked up 3 for my GameCube, but didn't pick up 4 until just recently on the xbox for $15. I've played it a lot before I purchased it and loved it. I'll give THUG a shot, and may pick it up soon, but have a feeling I'll be waiting for it to hit $30 or less. If it had Live support, I'd buy it right out of the gate.

6. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'll be picking it up as well, although I'll wait for it to go down in price. I picked up Tony Hawk 4 last Christmas for $35.00 but didn't get a chance to really sit down and enjoy it until recently. I have too many games that I'm playing through and I tend to only purchase games on the cheap. The rare exceptions are when a killer AAA title comes out that I simply cannot wait for! I like the fact that they are changing the desing of the new game- things started to get old after 1, 2, and 3. I welcomed the moderate change in design in part 4 and welcome this radical change in design even more.

7. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

8. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I'm still trying to figure out how to do the huge 100,000+ point combos. Any tips? It seems that a key to doing this is to do an air trick, revert, then manual. I can't for the life of me seem to get these three to run together.

9. NickC

NickC Second Unit

MAX use everything you can, rails, manuals, reverts, ramps, pipes, and just keep going, the hardest thing is balance, just try to do many tricks, to up the multiplier, try using a cheat for perfect balance and start with that to get a hang of it, then remove the cheat to see what you can do...

I am interested in THUG, 4 seemed a lot like 3 to me with the addition of some new moves and it lost my interest a lot quicker then 3 did, I should probably start playing 4 again to get back into it, I will def be picking up THUG at Some point for PS2 (only way to get your face in the game, xbox not supported) I have enjoyed every game in the series and they are all well made....

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

12. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It definitely isn't attributed to framerate. I played THPS2 on the Dreamcast, and then later on the Xbox, so moving to THPS3 on the Playstation 2 wasn't much of a change.

-Dave

14. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Another tip for huge combos.

There are TWO 900 moves. The 900 and Indy 900, each worth huge points. Make sure that you have both of them in your trick lineup, get lots of speed, go off a ramp, do one of those, revert and manual, and do something else.

A REALLY good spot in THPS 4 to get insane combos is in San Francisco. Take a look here to see where I am talking about. There are two ramps placed somewhat far away from each other, and there are a bunch of grindable ledges that are between them. Do a 900 off the ramp, manual and revert, grind, jump at the end of a rail, grind again, manual, do a trick off of the other ramp, revert, manual, and repeat.

Other good things to have are a bunch of special grinds, good balance, special manuals, and plenty of practice. [​IMG]

Hope this helps you out.

16. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

So which one(THUG) is going to be online? PS2 or XBOX or both? Actually I play TH4 online thru gamespy's xbox tunnel but it's very rare anyone is ever there. IMO, this is one of the more fun games to play online. You can show the other players new tricks. The competition part of it is challenging. You can also check out all the new skins players have. I can't wait either. 10/28 right?

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

It's out today! What do you all think of it?

I personally love it! I'll post more later on.

19. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

For the price of the game (and a few extra bucks), you could buy yourself a deck and actually go skateboarding, which is infinitly better than playing a game based on it. Seriously, give it a try (it gives back to the sporting community too).

20. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I'm skeptical. I've only been able to play it for 15 minutes. New Jersey. It didnt have the appeal that College in TH4 did at first but it will grow on me. I've only played TH4 and 2X before this.

Oh, when you watch the open videos, did you see those pre-recorded skaters' lines? That was CRAZY. Just think how many points they ended up with.

I wanna put my own face on the game also. That seems like it would be interesting.