What's new

Anyone looking forward to Tony Hawk Underground? (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, absolutely cannot wait to play this game! It sounds like it will be the best sports game ever made, especially with the vast amount of freedom that you have, and all the customizations.

Anyone getting it for PS2? If so, will you be playing it online? I will be doing both of those.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
While I've really enjoyed all the Tony Hawk games, I'm a little hesitant about the new one. I'll probably get it, but part of me is still stuck on the notion that I'm buying the same game again. True, there's new levels, moves, and features, but will 5 be fundamentally different from 4? I'll probably pick up the Xbox version at some point, if only to see if they ramped up the difficulty from 4 at all.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
After #2, it always felt like I was steering a jet powered skateboard. I'll pass this time around. I'd love a new Aggressive Inline, but I think that series died before it became a series.

-Dave

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
After #2, it always felt like I was steering a jet powered skateboard.
Uh, why? Yeah, Aggressive Inline was an awesome game too, and I would LOVE to see another game in the series. However, why don't you complain about that jet powered feeling in Aggressive Inline? Aggressive Inline is sure as heck less realistic than Tony Hawk, if that's what you are complaining about.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I played 2 at Best Buy on a demo PSX machine before 3 came out. I was hooked. Picked up 3 for my GameCube, but didn't pick up 4 until just recently on the xbox for $15. I've played it a lot before I purchased it and loved it. I'll give THUG a shot, and may pick it up soon, but have a feeling I'll be waiting for it to hit $30 or less. If it had Live support, I'd buy it right out of the gate.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'll be picking it up as well, although I'll wait for it to go down in price. I picked up Tony Hawk 4 last Christmas for $35.00 but didn't get a chance to really sit down and enjoy it until recently. I have too many games that I'm playing through and I tend to only purchase games on the cheap. The rare exceptions are when a killer AAA title comes out that I simply cannot wait for! I like the fact that they are changing the desing of the new game- things started to get old after 1, 2, and 3. I welcomed the moderate change in design in part 4 and welcome this radical change in design even more.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I'll probably pick up the Xbox version at some point, if only to see if they ramped up the difficulty from 4 at all.
I found the pro challenges and certain goals(the bobsled run) to be borderline impossible, and I've played and beaten every Tony Hawk game.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'm still trying to figure out how to do the huge 100,000+ point combos. Any tips? It seems that a key to doing this is to do an air trick, revert, then manual. I can't for the life of me seem to get these three to run together.

NickC

Second Unit
MAX use everything you can, rails, manuals, reverts, ramps, pipes, and just keep going, the hardest thing is balance, just try to do many tricks, to up the multiplier, try using a cheat for perfect balance and start with that to get a hang of it, then remove the cheat to see what you can do...

I am interested in THUG, 4 seemed a lot like 3 to me with the addition of some new moves and it lost my interest a lot quicker then 3 did, I should probably start playing 4 again to get back into it, I will def be picking up THUG at Some point for PS2 (only way to get your face in the game, xbox not supported) I have enjoyed every game in the series and they are all well made....

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I found the pro challenges and certain goals(the bobsled run) to be borderline impossible, and I've played and beaten every Tony Hawk game.
Yup-those were tricky (as were some of the COMBO lines and the King of Kona goal), but got em all eventually. I'm just thinking that if 3 to 4 was such a big jump, what's the change going to be from 4 to 5? 5 million point runs?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
However, why don't you complain about that jet powered feeling in Aggressive Inline?
Because it doesn't feel like that. ;) Starting with THPS3, it felt like as soon as you hit forward, you were going superfast. That little tweak, combined with changing it so that grinds actually increased your speed, just made it un-fun for me.

-Dave

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Starting with THPS3, it felt like as soon as you hit forward, you were going superfast
Maybe what you are experiencing is due to the increase in framerate between 2 and 3.

I do agree with your statement about grinds. I hope they address that issue in THUG, but if they don't I won't mind too much.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It definitely isn't attributed to framerate. I played THPS2 on the Dreamcast, and then later on the Xbox, so moving to THPS3 on the Playstation 2 wasn't much of a change.

-Dave

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I'm still trying to figure out how to do the huge 100,000+ point combos. Any tips?
Like previously stated, the first thing to do is to "get special". If you can find a quarter pipe head to it, do 3 or so special tricks but make sure they're linked. You'll need to revert to a manual, but the important thing is to jump out of the revert and land in a manual. This keeps your momentum going which in turn affects your balance.

After that try to find a nice long line to grind and make sure to do a flip trick in between grinds. Also try to put a special grind trick in your special slot to bump up the score. Then to top it off when you start losing speed you can do some flat land manual tricks to raise the multiplier. The main thing is to get your multipliers up. Do 'that' and 100,000 combos will be a breeze, it's the million or more point combos that will drive you nuts.

There's some THPS websites that have videos of guys getting 80 million point combos or more. I've had 2 million point combos (with no cheats) but what these guys do is insane.

I'm really excited about THUG. Usually pretty patient about waiting till games get marked down but for this I'll probably make an exception.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Another tip for huge combos.

There are TWO 900 moves. The 900 and Indy 900, each worth huge points. Make sure that you have both of them in your trick lineup, get lots of speed, go off a ramp, do one of those, revert and manual, and do something else.

A REALLY good spot in THPS 4 to get insane combos is in San Francisco. Take a look here to see where I am talking about. There are two ramps placed somewhat far away from each other, and there are a bunch of grindable ledges that are between them. Do a 900 off the ramp, manual and revert, grind, jump at the end of a rail, grind again, manual, do a trick off of the other ramp, revert, manual, and repeat.

Other good things to have are a bunch of special grinds, good balance, special manuals, and plenty of practice. :)

Hope this helps you out.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
So which one(THUG) is going to be online? PS2 or XBOX or both? Actually I play TH4 online thru gamespy's xbox tunnel but it's very rare anyone is ever there. IMO, this is one of the more fun games to play online. You can show the other players new tricks. The competition part of it is challenging. You can also check out all the new skins players have. I can't wait either. 10/28 right?

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
It's out today! What do you all think of it?

I personally love it! I'll post more later on.

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator
For the price of the game (and a few extra bucks), you could buy yourself a deck and actually go skateboarding, which is infinitly better than playing a game based on it. Seriously, give it a try (it gives back to the sporting community too).

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I'm skeptical. I've only been able to play it for 15 minutes. New Jersey. It didnt have the appeal that College in TH4 did at first but it will grow on me. I've only played TH4 and 2X before this.

Oh, when you watch the open videos, did you see those pre-recorded skaters' lines? That was CRAZY. Just think how many points they ended up with.

I wanna put my own face on the game also. That seems like it would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread