1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone looking forward to Frankenhemier's "Prophecy" on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This was one of those horror movies I always watched when it was on TV, although it's hardly a "childhood favorite". Apparently the DVD has NO features at all, but the transfer is very nice. (I've only seen this movie on network TV, so I'm at the very least curious to see how it looks all cleaned up.) Plus, a pat on the back to Paramount for retaining some semblance of the original poster for the DVD artwork. That's very nice to see.

Anyone out there planning on buying this one right away?

2. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Already on order..

At age 6, scared the living crap out of me. At 20, a really bad horror movie that reminded me how scared I was at 6. Now, I can't wait to see it !

3. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely getting it too!

Remember the book Danse Macabre by Stephen King? I haven't read it in years, so I may be wrong, but didn't he refer to Phrophecy several times in it, citing it as a guilty pleasure for himself or something?

4. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Love to say that I'm looking forward to this one, but Prophecy is not one of Frankenheimer's best. An embaressing mess would be a charitable description. Seconds is a much, much better film and genuinely creepy. Terrific black and white cinematography by I believe James Wong Howe.

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm saving my post-holiday pennies (what few of them there still are) for "Seconds," which is one of the creepiest and most disturbing films ever made-- and easily one of Frankenheimer's best films.

6. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I don't have the money to buy it but yeah I like this flick. Prophecy still scared the last time I watched it about four years ago. Would love to see it in widescreen. Seconds is another great movie but I'm too broke to buy either of them.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Before the film was released, I was fortunate enough to catch a sneak preview, and let me tell you, the original cut was FAR gorier than the final release. Cuts lingered longer on various death scenes and it didn't have that ridiculous ending. My friends and I who had seen this version and told others never could live it down after the theatrical release hit and was far less frightening. I had hoped to see this uncut version on DVD, but I guess I'll have to enjoy this version, a guilty pleasure right up there with THE CAR and my favorite yet-to-be-on-DVD RACE WITH THE DEVIL.

8. Scott Weinberg

I did not know that, Jordan! Very interesting! (By the way, WELCOME to the HTF! Always nice to see someone's first post in a Horror Movie Thread. [​IMG] )
    After reading your description, I also would love to have seen this footage included. (It most likely would have made the DVD a "must buy" for me.) As it stands, I'll most likely rent it, as I would like to see it (at least once) in Widescreen.
    Glad you dropped in with that tidbit. One can only assume that the gorier stuff was cut to achieve Prophecy's current PG rating. Damn suits.

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

PROPHECY would have certainly received an "R" rating for the version we saw.
    The part where the guy crawls under the fence is much longer, with blood spraying into his screaming face and VERY loud crunching sounds!

The ending was more subtle.
    We see the plane flying overhead and then there are some trees shaking, with that grunting sound rising, not the stupid looking "new monster" rising up like in the released version.

Maybe watching the movie in WS again will bring back more memories, as this was a LONG time ago! [​IMG]

10. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well then, i think Paramount should release the uncut version of the film,if the footage can be found!
    I've never seen the whole movie before...only a couple minutes on the sci/fi channel,though have been familiar with the poster art + plot of the film since i was a kid as i always saw it at the video store,but never rented.
    Maybe i should give it achance. Might at least be a campy fun piece of shlock or boring mess?

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

If anyone at Paramount actually reads this thread, they're probably thinking "Damn! Someone actually saw that version!" Actually, it's still a decent movie. I haven't seen it for quite awhile, but I can't wait to see the "sleeping bag" attack in all it's widescreen glory! [​IMG]

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yes, Jordan, the sleeping bag sequence is quite superb. My feeling is that the film is overall fairly ridiculous (and I actually read the David Seltzer book), but that it contains two or three marvelous moments. Frankenheimer was the wrong director for this subject matter, although the story has a "conservationalist" thread and he has never been a stranger to controversy or social comment. The opening sequence in the Maine woods at night is tense, and the final shot is a shocker, so along with the sleeping bag bit, the parts are work the purchase of the whole.

13. Nelson Chow

Nelson Chow Auditioning

Hi guys,

I have this DVD. A gorgeous anamorphic transfer from a pristine print. Decent stereo sound. Go for it!

Nelson

14. Scott Weinberg

Someone remind me (in a spoiler tag) how the 'sleeping bag scene' goes down. I keep having visions of that sleeping bag kill from Friday the 13th Part 5. (It was part 5, right?)

15. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Exploding sleeping bag scene!! Actually, the awesome site www.badmovies.org has the exploding sleeping bag scene in
    MPEG, for your viewing pleasure.

16. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I think it's the boy who zips himself all the way up in the sleeping bag, and when the monster attacks, he tries to hop away, but it swipes him, he flies, and hits a tree. POOF! The feathers fly!

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced to seek out this disc. Knowing my local video stores, they probably didn't order it, thinking it's "The Prophecy," starring Chris Walken.