What's new

Anyone looking at the SAMSUNG HDTVs (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Is the up conversion to 480p defeatable on the samsung sets. I've heard a lot about the picture looking pixellated - not just with Samsung but also Sony and other models. It seems for regular analog cable, it is best to watch it as is and not mess with what is already a crappy signal. Anyhow, it'll make everyone appreciate how nice dvds look :)
cheers,
--tom

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The 480p is NOT defeatable. Do NOT get the one without 3:2 pull down. You'll see pixellization like nuts.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Mine does not have 3:2 and I don't see any pixelation other then whats already in a Sat transmaition. Never had any before I had a progressive scan DVD.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I know this should be in the basic forum, but since you mention it ... what exactly is "3:2 pull down?" I assume that is a way to defeat progressive scan, for non-progressive scan material, like TV broadcasting?
If so does that mean the lack of 3:2 pull down only affects said broadcasting and VHS?

Joey Helmsley

Auditioning

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
So if you have a non progressive scan DVD player how will this affect DVD viewing?

Also when you watch regular cable tv you are saying that the picture will look bad and/or pixelated because it is a HDTV ready set?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
All HDTVs look bad with a bad signal. If you have a crappy signal, it will look worse on a higher resolution, Bigger screen. That is with any manufacturer, has nothing to do with Samsung and The samsung is probably better then most other's (from reports I hear from other sammy owners.)

You will have a better picture using a Progressive scan player for sure. The difference between my non Progressive non 3:2 DVD that I first used when I got the TV is not a night and day comparison Vs. My progressive 3:2 one. There is a quality difference, but I would not say it is very significant. It is noticeable tho.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Eric, the cable signal is essentially a 480i signal and what the tv's line doubler does is takes that and turns it into a 480p signal for display on the set. Depending on the quality of the line doubler, and the quality of the source signal, artifacts can be introduced making the signal look worse/pixellated/etc. I think a lot will depend on the quality of your cable signal. You can probably do a search in this forum and see many discussions on this topic.

cheers,

--tom

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen the new 30" Samsung that is 16:9? I just saw it yesterday at Best Buy. Only like $1200 and change. Looks great for the size and price.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
That explanation of 3:2 pulldown is a bit confusing. It appears that even sets WITH 3:2 pulldown causes artifacting of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks