Anyone looking at the SAMSUNG HDTVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeyWeitz, Jun 13, 2002.

1. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

The new ones are out. This is a replacement for the TSL3293
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26
    Price is less then previous models and has 2 component ins. This is the lower end of the 32" versions. No 3:2, but is a great TV ( I dont have 3:2 on mine, let my DVD take care of that!

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Is the up conversion to 480p defeatable on the samsung sets. I've heard a lot about the picture looking pixellated - not just with Samsung but also Sony and other models. It seems for regular analog cable, it is best to watch it as is and not mess with what is already a crappy signal. Anyhow, it'll make everyone appreciate how nice dvds look [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

3. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

The 480p is NOT defeatable. Do NOT get the one without 3:2 pull down. You'll see pixellization like nuts.

4. MikeyWeitz

Mine does not have 3:2 and I don't see any pixelation other then whats already in a Sat transmaition. Never had any before I had a progressive scan DVD.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I know this should be in the basic forum, but since you mention it ... what exactly is "3:2 pull down?" I assume that is a way to defeat progressive scan, for non-progressive scan material, like TV broadcasting?
    If so does that mean the lack of 3:2 pull down only affects said broadcasting and VHS?

6. Joey Helmsley

Joey Helmsley Auditioning

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

James, HERE is a 3:2 explainer.
    bill

8. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

So if you have a non progressive scan DVD player how will this affect DVD viewing?

Also when you watch regular cable tv you are saying that the picture will look bad and/or pixelated because it is a HDTV ready set?

9. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks Bill!

10. MikeyWeitz

All HDTVs look bad with a bad signal. If you have a crappy signal, it will look worse on a higher resolution, Bigger screen. That is with any manufacturer, has nothing to do with Samsung and The samsung is probably better then most other's (from reports I hear from other sammy owners.)

You will have a better picture using a Progressive scan player for sure. The difference between my non Progressive non 3:2 DVD that I first used when I got the TV is not a night and day comparison Vs. My progressive 3:2 one. There is a quality difference, but I would not say it is very significant. It is noticeable tho.

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Eric, the cable signal is essentially a 480i signal and what the tv's line doubler does is takes that and turns it into a 480p signal for display on the set. Depending on the quality of the line doubler, and the quality of the source signal, artifacts can be introduced making the signal look worse/pixellated/etc. I think a lot will depend on the quality of your cable signal. You can probably do a search in this forum and see many discussions on this topic.

cheers,

--tom

12. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Has anyone seen the new 30" Samsung that is 16:9? I just saw it yesterday at Best Buy. Only like $1200 and change. Looks great for the size and price.

13. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

That explanation of 3:2 pulldown is a bit confusing. It appears that even sets WITH 3:2 pulldown causes artifacting of some sort.