anyone local in Mass that fixes dvd players?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have a Technics DVD-A10.

its not suppose to read DVD-R but does perfectly.

problem is it has issues with certain official dvd's. seems like it has a problem with ones that are a little transparent. ones with solid labels arent an issue most of the time. on the transparent ones if I try 4-8 times I can get it to read. sometimes it takes more. but has no issues playing dvd-r. once I get it to initialize on an official dvd there is no issues what so ever playing the disc. not a hiccup.

someone told me this player didnt like gold colored dvd's.

could this be a problem with the laser being to powerful ? who knows.

I dont trust electronics repair places as I got ripped off once by one. so I am wondering if there is someone local to me on the board that specializes and knows how to work on dvd players. this is a nice player and a great performer, it gives a great picture. I just wish it worked correctly.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My advice would be to get a simple lens cleaner first. Use that and see if it helps. If not, then check and see what if any Panasonic player this is a clone or brother/sister of. Once you do that, then you can check to see if there are firmware upgrades for the unit. Do at your own risk, but the AVS forum has the scoop on firmware upgrades for Panasonic dvd players.

I found this infos on the web:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....&Search=Search

You may have a problem with the spindle motor, but I am not sure. You could check with Gary Wayne. He is on here but not local to Mass.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
there is a panny player that is based on the A10. no firmware I could find.

I am doubting its a prob with the motor. if it was the case why does every dvd-r work on this player...and this player isnt even suppose to play dvd-r.

so far it hasnt failed on 5 different dvd-r I have tried. its only official dvd's. not all but some and it seems to be ones that are gold and or are pretty transparent, solid labels are usually not a problem with official dvd-r nor silver dvd's.

the player has been like this since new. I think the laser is strong and transparent dvd's are a problem for it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Who knows. Maybe the laser needs to be focussed or the alignment/calibration of the pickup is off. The only person I can think of who may be able to help you on here is possibly Gary Wayne. PM him. He mods/fixes dvd players, mostly Panasonics, or those based on Panasonics. Yours may be fixable by him. Good luck.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Ralph I got your PM thanks, I am looking into this and will get back with you ASAP, if you want give me a email at: gmurrell1 "at" bigsandybb.com so I don't misplace you, as I don't hang out here as much as I would like, I am at AVS mostly

thanks guys

-Gary M.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
that is a straight Panasonic player 100% sure of that, which means I can most likely fix it, send me that email Ralph and we will get on it including some troubleshooting

-Gary

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Thanks Guys!!!!

email sent Gary, appreciate.

hate to retire this player. it give such a nice picture and is well built. but this problem is annoying and alot of times cant watch movies on it and have to use a lesser player.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What Panasonic player is the player "like" or similar too? Any idea which MPEG decoder the Technics A10 has?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
the Panasonic DVD-A7

I am also thinking could it be a region code problem. all my dvd's that are ripped region free play perfectly.

reg official dvd's, nota!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzpainremoverus