Anyone listend to the HTD Level One's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan Hamstra, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Nathan Hamstra

Aug 3, 2000
    I'm looking for a 5.1 speaker setup for my parents, and I'm trying to avoid spending the money on a N-24/wm40 setup (which is what I have in my HT setup now), which would come to about 400 shipped.

The HTD Level One set seems like a pretty tight deal - six speakers including wall mounts for only $150. Has anyone listend to these speakers?

My parents have no real expectations, so I'm sure they will be happy with whatever I get them, but I would like to do a little better then the typical super-budget home-theater-in-a-box speakers.

Thanks for your time,

edit: pardon my spelling error in the title
  2. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Jul 18, 2002
    If you want to get the HTD Level One's at a better price, look for them under the Audio Source Brand Name The equivalent model is called the AudioSource System 380. There have been versions of this system going for under $60 on EBay. That's $60 including the powered sub!

I had a set of these between my original set of Advent Home Theatre speakers and my Paradigm setup I have now. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with them. They blend pretty well with the supplied subwoofer, but without the sub in the mix, they sound very "plastic", with an overemphasis on the midrange.

That being said, they are bound to sound better than most HTIB speakers in that each satellite contains both a mid-woofer and tweeter (except for the center that contains two mid-woofers & one tweeter.) They also have a relatively good build with gold binding posts for connection, and are extremely easy to install with the provided mounting brackets.

So, they are a decent solution for an EXTREMELY limited budget (especially if you can find the AudioSource closeout version)... but if you can go even a little more money you should go for something like the JBL NSP 1 package (~$200 shipped online from somewhere like J&R Music)and combine it with a low priced sub like either the DLS-10 (on sale for $99 from Parts Express) or the Sony WM-40 (about $125 from

Your mileage may vary

Bill S.
  3. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Jan 29, 2002
    I use the Level One's for surrounds right now. For $40 pr., they can't be beat. I think for the money they are a great deal. Unless the people you buying them for are audiophiles, they will be fine IMHO. HTD is also a great company to work with. If they still have the 30-day money back deal, it will cost you nothing to try them, not even shipping.