Anyone listen to the Genelec 1038A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bone, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

Has anyone had experience with the Genelec 1037 or 1038A?

Chris

2. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Chris, Genelec monitors are pro studio tools which don't see much consumer action.
    You'll probably find some of the feedback you're looking for here:
    http://www.prosoundweb.com/forums/ (Try the "rec pit" area.)

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Gnenelec monitors are being used in more and more high-end custom installations. They are not "pro studio only" speakers. Contact Genelec for a custom installer in your area that is a dealer. You will not find them in retail stores. Regards.

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

The beauty of the Genelecs in question is that they plug right into the mixing board without a need for external amplification. Why would that be useful and cost effective in a home? No disrespect intended at all Bill, I might learn something here.

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I've heard 2 pairs of Genelecs (recording at a studio for an a capella group), and OMG, nice. [​IMG] There was a pair of Monitors, which were great for fine tuning, since it was right in front of the sound board and computers, but then there were these big ones built diagonally into where the ceiling meets the wall, across the room......those were amazing.
    Sorry, I'm of absolutely no help, but I just wanted to say how much my first studio experience ruled. [​IMG]

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I have just started working part-time on Saturdays at Home Theater Systems in Framingham, MA. Our website is www.hometheatersystems.com. HTS does custom installation from the ground up.
    Anyways, one of the two theaters at our store is equipped with Genelecs. I am so new to the store that I cannot tell you what model they are, but they are certainly amazing in a home theater installation. When I went to talk to the owner about working, he fired up the Steely Dan DVD on the 50 inch Plasma and Genelecs. The sound was awesome. You could really push the volume up without any distortion at all.
    In the room, we have 7 of the bookshelf sized units, each with I think about 125 watt's of amplification, partnered with a dedicated subwoofer that has a 600 watt amp.
    All I can say, is do not shy away from these speakers due to the need for more wiring. In a brand new install from scratch, these would be a joy to have......
    Just for kicks, here is a link to 3-d walkarounds for some of the installs that HTS has done recently.....
    http://www.hometheatersystems.com/example.htm

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jeff,

FYI those speakers each have two amplifiers in them with an active crossover, and are biamped. They sound incredible, and will sound incredible in any environment. There is no reason to limit them to recording studio use.

9. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Interesting, thanks.

10. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

I had rounded down my HT choices to the M&K active 150 system or the Triad Platinum system. Then, a friend said he had heard the Genelec 1038A's in a high end HT. He said it blew away the M&K and Triad Plats. They are $7000.00 each so you have to pay for such great sound. I personally have not heard the Genelecs so I cannot make such a bold statement. The M&K 150P's are great active speakers. I have not heard the Triad Plats yet but am auditioning soon. From what I have read they are some of the best. Still, if the 1038A's are as good as I have heard-they must be incredible.

11. Bill Lucas

Jeff, they use LESS wire, not more. There's no need for speaker wire since the connection is straight from the pre-pro to the speaker.

12. Bill Lucas

Phil,
    I've taken on the Genelec line so you'll be able to hear them first hand in the not-so-distant future. BTW, you're still invited to the opening of our design center. It's taking longer than expected because I've had to pull the crew from the build-out to work on installs. A good problem to have. [​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bill,

I'm there.

I have a buddy who uses Genelecs in his protools rig, and they sound fantastic for music (he's tried to get me to buy some for my HT for years). I'd love to hear them in home theater environment.

14. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yup. Power everywhere. Big pain in the ass IMO.

16. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    The 1038s are very capable speakers, but I would hesitate to consider them that much better than say the Triad Platinums with good amplification. I haven't had a chance to demo both, but both are well regarded.