What's new

Anyone listen to rap? (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I listen to a little bit of everything, including rap. The artist that's currently getting the most rotations in my CD changer is Eminem. I didn't listen to him at all when he was best known for spewing hate but his new CD has a few excellent tracks.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Up until about 1992 I listened to mostly rap. My favorite artists included:
Beastie Boys
Big Daddy Kane
Blow, Kurtis
Boogie Down Productions
De La Soul
Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince
D.O.C.
Digital Underground
Eazy E.
EPMD
Eric B. And Rakim
Fat Boys
Ice Cube
Ice T.
L.L. Cool J.
N.W.A.
P.M. Dawn
Poor Righteous Teachers
Public Enemy
Run-DMC
Schoolly D.
Sir Mix-A-Lot
Slick Rick
Stetsasonic
Too Short
2 Live Crew
A Tribe Called Quest
and
Whodini
to name a few.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Public Enemy is still my favorite. The layers of noise they make is great, and the lyrics still hit home today.

NP: Miles Davis, Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, disc 1

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Mike, I thought I was the only one who loved Public Enemy and Joni Mitchell at the same time.:)
Public Enemy is clearly my favorite rap group and their masterpiece "It Takes A Nation Of Millions TO Hold Us Back" should be included in every rap collection, new or old.
Just my opinion, and Stephen Thomas Erlewine of the All Music Guide states the following about the album:
Link Removed

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy listening to rap. Mostly I dislike what they play on the radio, though. However, I have to admit I do like the new Eminem disc.
Groups I really like are Jurassic 5, Black Eyed Peas, Swollen Members, and others along this line. If you were ever a fan of DAS EFX, check out Lords of the Underground. Same guys, new name, new style. Good stuff.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Back in the 80s, I enjoyed listening to Run DMC on the airwaves ("Tricky" in particular).
Ever since viewing "The Beastie Boys Anthology" from Criterion Collection, I've been converted to this "white-boy-rap-group". I love their "Intergalactic", "Body Movin'", and "Three MCs and One DJ" (Mixmaster Mike is phenomenal) videos.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
yes,
Wu-Tang Clan (gobs of talent, RZA (underrated)
Dr. Dre
The Roots (my favorite, of the Philly stuff)
Outkast
N.W.A
Eminem
The Jungle Brothers
Brand Nubian
Busta Rhymes
Warren G
Beastie Boys

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I listen to quite a bit of rap as well, but not much commercial rap at all.

Some suggestions:

Blackalicious - Nia (the best rap album of 2002 so far)
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonacolagyst (my fave rap album)
Kool Keith on vocals, Dan the Automator does the beats, DJ Qbert on turntables. That's an all-star team worth of talent.

Delton 3030 - Deltron 3030 - Del on lyrics, Kid Koala on turntables, Dan the Automator produced. Great disc.

Black Star - Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

DJ Vadim - USSR: Reconstruction

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

I'll second these artists:

Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers: Enter the Wu-Tang

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (A great album)

The Roots - Do You Want More?

Jurassic 5 - Quality Control

and of course, Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

there's plenty of other albums, those are some off the top of my head.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me when the initial 'c' got dropped from the term 'rap music'? :D
Sorry, not a fan, and I've yet to hear a morally-justified argument for why misogyny, sexism and the advocation of cop-killling is anything worthy of praise. Take those subjects away, and you're not left with much for rappers to go on about, are you?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Take those subjects away, and you're not left with much for rappers to go on about, are you?
Yes you are, but that doesn't sell. When the hell are you and all the others gonna get that?!
Eminem is probably my current fav because he is brutally honest. I don't buy rap CD's as it is not the type of music I want to listen to at home. Well perhaps while doing chores or something.
On the other hand, in clubs and at parties, I would have nothing else. Which is something else many of the detractors forget: It makes you DANCE. That is, if you can dance and not simply jump at a monotonous techno rythm. This music has the rythm that makes you shake your body. Of course if dancing is not a big part of your heritage or culture (it is a for black people, in Africa and here), then it makes sense that you would get little from rap music.
Someone said in another thread a while ago that when you take out the bass, there is little left. I agree. And I still wonder what the point of that was.
--
Holadem

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Sorry to barge on this thread, but rap is the most untalented, shallow music possible and is an insult to real artists who actually put some effort into what they do.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
You obviously haven't seen the new Nelly video "Hot In Herre". Not to single out that one particular "artist" but sadly that's what the majority of rap is, horrible crap.

Ike

Screenwriter
Sorry, not a fan, and I've yet to hear a morally-justified argument for why misogyny, sexism and the advocation of cop-killling is anything worthy of praise. Take those subjects away, and you're not left with much for rappers to go on about, are you?
Because sticks and stones may break people's bones, but words will never hurt them?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Sorry to barge on this thread, but rap is the most untalented, shallow music possible and is an insult to real artists who actually put some effort into what they do.
I hear ya man. I'm not really a RAP fan. I sat down and listened to an Eminem CD once. Although it sounded good, the content was just rotten. I wanted to go hunt down Eminem and punch him in the nose. I don't mind F words and such. But if you wanna listen to RAP and don't wanna get offended by F words, JAPANESE RAP is the way to GO! It's so funny to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks