Anyone knows how to remove a sliding patio door?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andres Munoz, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Like the subject says, help anyone? Any website with instructions?

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Do you just want to remove the sliding door or the entire door frame?

If it's just the door then you simply lift it off the track.

If you're removing the entire frame then you have to cut away some of the housing exterior (stucko or whatever) to get to it. Not an easy job.

3. Andres Munoz

It's just the door. Actually, it would have to be both doors (the static and the one that slides). I bought a new sofa for my basement but it's too big to fit through the stairs so I need to bring it to the back of the house and bring it in through the patio door. I'll put the doors back as soon as I'm done.

One thing though, I tried lifting the door but I didn't see it move up one bit. Is there something that I need to unscrew before lifting the door off the track?
    What about the second door? Is it removed in the same manner?

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

There may be some kind of a stop installed in the upper track to prevent a burglar from lifting it out. You should try opening the door all the way and then lifting.

The fixed door might have some kind of screws or plates holding it in place. Once you've found and removed that hardware it too should lift out much the same way. You might have to slide it over just a little bit before lifting to clear it from the side seal.

5. Andres Munoz

Thanks Bill. I'll give that a try tonight. I just hope I don't have any problems putting the doors back in. It's very cold here in NYC. Feels like in the 20's. Probably less with wind factor. [​IMG]

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

You should be able to lift the door up easily enough once you open it a good six inches or so. I've not seen anything that is made to prevent an open door from being raised, however there could be a block of some sort attached to the top track. If it won't budge at all, open it all the way and look to see if there appears to be something in the upper track that can be removed. Some of these doors are quite heavy so it may take a bit of work or a helper.

You might also look at the bottom track. Perhaps its made such that you remove the side of it inside the house then the door can be pulled out that way. This could be an extra security feature since with some sliding glass doors if they're only locked at the handle they can still be lifted off the track and removed by someone on the outside.

If you rent, you might ask your landlord/maintance person about how to remove it. Also if the couch is being delivered the delivery people probably know how to yank those out.

7. Andres Munoz

Keith, I own the house and the couch is used. I brought it home with the help of my brother in law.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep an eye out for those things.