Anyone know squat about perfume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Something tells me I gotta get the wifey something personal for Xmas. Perfume seems an easy way to go, but I want to try for a scent other than what she uses.
    Friends are steering me toward something called Tova, sold only online or by phone via QVC. It's $35 for 2.5 oz.
    Any opinions?
    Jon
    (who was originally looking for a quart-size of something for around ten bucks that'll last all year [​IMG] )

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Eh, proceed with caution.

Unless you're absolutely sure she would love perfume, don't take the "easy way out". It honestly comes across that way. Being that perfume smells slightly different on every person, she (or you) may not like it on herself. Plus, if she's anything like myself, she's had bottles of the stuff stashed away never to really be used. Unless she's indicated that she wants perfume, especially a particular scent, skip it and get her something else.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i agree with leila. however, i'd just like to add that there is this perfune called 'angel' that is the best ive smelled. not the victorias secret stuff, this used to come in a small bottle, was like $80, and worth every penny. when i smelled it on a girl, it drove me nuts, i tells you's. its a bit scary that a scent can have that effect on me. i wonder if they even make it, my girlfriend cant find it anywhere.

CJ

4. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

If you decide to go the perfume route I have found the website www.perfumania.com to be good. Their prices are decent and they list the main scent ingredients of many of the scents. They do carry the Angel perfume, mentioned by Christ, which I also find nice, although a little pricey. They also carry a nice selection of lotions from the perfume companies. Hope that helps.
    Kenneth

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I used to date a girl who wore Adidas and Liz Sport. Both are tied in my mind as the best smelling I've ever noticed.

I have to agree with Leila.

6. Craig

Craig Second Unit

The only time to buy perfume is when you're absolutely sure she likes a particular brand. Even if you buy the really expensive stuff there's about a 90% chance she will not like it unless it's something she wears or has mentioned that she likes.

Buy jewelry instead. Go for something nice, but not too flashy (unless she really likes flash).

7. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

One word.....

Amarige.
    It's a hypnotic fragrance made by Givenchy. Been around for years.....simply intoxicating.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

If you can find it, buy Victoria by Victoria's Secret. It's discontinued but I'm sure you can find it on the internet. My fiance used to have it and it drove me wild. I nearly cried when she ran out though! [​IMG]

9. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Dude,
    fact is...do not buy anything you haven't smelled first.
    If you don't like the smell, it won't be worth it...and you can tell her honestly that you love the way it smells and cannot wait to smell it on her...

but do not buy on line until you have smelled it yourself...

dan

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

It's been a while since I last bought perfume. I always liked Chanel #19. The place to buy fancy name-brand perfumes at a discount in the Metro Detroit area was always Levin's in Oak Park. I don't know if they still have the best prices.

I've had about a 67% success rate when giving this fragrance. YMMV.

11. andrew markworthy

The number one rule in buying perfume (or aftershave for that matter) - don't do it unless you know the recipient likes it. It doesn't matter how much you like it - it's the other person who is going to wear it.

Perfume is one of the most evocative memory-stimulators imaginable. I was once put off a really lovely woman who was obviously interested in me and was brilliant, witty, and really pretty because she wore the same perfume as my (mad) aunt. I know, fickle or what, but every time I got near her the image of my aunt (moustache and all) floated into my head. On the other hand, the scent of Crabtree and Evelyn's Moroccan room spray can have a *very* interesting effect on me; and at that point I think I'd better stop. :b

12. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

"Arpege" by Lanvin holds a special place in my heart. Classic scent that is sure to impress. The nice thing is its still little known to set one apart from the crowd. Pricey though: about $45 for 1.7 oz.

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The first rule in buying perfume is that you need to spend money. [​IMG] Basically if it comes in quantities larger than one ounce, it’s probably not all that good.
    After that, its personal preference: don’t be put off by getting the wrong scent. My wife uses several, depending on her mood and the occasion. If in doubt just get ¼ oz. That way if you are completely wrong, its not a disaster.
    My personal preference is the classic, Channel No. 5, though there are many others that I also like.
    Good deals on he upscale perfumes can be found at many duty free shops, if you happen to be going across a border.

14. andrew markworthy

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG]
    Well Andrew, right now I’d be more of a Channel 4 person myself.
    BTW, mate, how’s the cricket?

16. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I'd have to put in a vote for Angel. I can't describe what it smells like, but I can tell you what it's not. It isn't a classy/glamorous/mature scent. It isn't a fun/summery/citrusy scent as if it was geared towards teens.

It's just different and damn good! A website says it's a combo of vanilla, chocolate, honey, patchuoli, sandalwood, and caramel.

Buying perfume is very risky though. Not only is smell highly personal, the scent may change once she puts it on. Best to get something else, or be highly innovative and get her to try it without giving yourself away.

good luck! Merry x-mas.

Ryan

17. andrew markworthy

18. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Hey guys,
    Please don't be afraid to buy your wife a new perfume. Most women I know use more than one scent, depending on which mood they're in, and love trying new ones.
    Try "Glow" by J Lo which smells amazing! It costs $32-50 depending on size. Victoria's Secrets sells many nice perfumes, including one that has a warm Vanilla scent to it.
    If you're concerned about price, visit your local TJMaxx or Marshalls stores. You can find expensive perfumes (Versace, Dolce&Gabbana, etc.) for a fraction of their usual prices. They also have some pretty nice gift baskets that have scented after bath lotions (like Mandarin Orange, Mango-Tangerine, and Pina Colada).
    Practically all women love to experience something fresh and different....so don't be afraid to pick up something that she does't already use. (Just avoid Lavendar or Gardenia scents or she'll smell like your grandmother.)