Anyone know of an AUDIO only SACD/DVD-Audio player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Troy LaMont, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I'm not in the market for a new DVD player. I'd like high quality audio for SACD, DVD-Audio and Redbook CDs.

Does this beast exist?

I know I can get a Sony only SACD/Redbook CD player.

Thanks.

Troy

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Many / most DVD-As have some video content, if only a static navigation menu... so any DVD-A or universal player will have a video section.

I believe the higher-end Pioneer uni's -- and possibly Denon, Marantz, Yamaha -- allow you to disable the video section... http://makeashorterlink.com/?B56E21AF8

There are also extra-pricy universal players made by McCormack and Teac/Esoteric.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With DVD-As (at least all the ones I have) that have multiple tracks; stereo, m/c, video, etc..., you MUST use the setup menu to select the tracks. I use my Denon 2200 for 2ch DVD-A only, and for each one, I have to go into the menu and select the 2ch track. I don't remember there being a way to default to the 2ch track. For SACDs, this isn't an issue. The 2200 does allow you to turn off the video section while listening. If you are looking for both for sure, I'd opt for a video also uni-player, depending on budget.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just to confirm what gregD says above, at least for Marantz, the DV6400 allows you to turn off the video circuitry when listening to any format (though as John points out, with DVD-A, you need the onscreen menu to select two channel, so you can't get by entirely without the video section).

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Also, video is included in the DVD-A specification. I may be wrong, but because of this I think that in order to put the DVD-A logo on the player it has to be video capable.

I'm hoping for a 2 channel SACD/DAD player (Digital Audio Disk), although it likely will never happen. DAD's are recorded on DVD-A disks, but they only have a hi-rez (24/96 or 24/192) stereo track, no video, no DTS, no multi-channel.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Eh, no. DAD discs are std DVD-V discs (not DVD-A) with 24/96 PCM (no 24/192) that is not copy protected. Chesky among a few other lables makes these. Most current DVD players will play DADs.

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

My mistake, I lumped DAD's and HDAD's together. Yes, standard DAD's are 24/96 and can be played on DVD-V players. HDAD's are 24/192 and can only be played back on DVD-Audio players.

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have to go the DVD route anyway!

Troy