Anyone know of a six channel Pre-Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Risley, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I'm looking at getting a dvd audio or SACD player but my Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro does not have six channel pass through so I need a seperate volume control for these style of players. I saw where in the last issue of Widescreen Review they used a six channel pre but the thing was $2700. I could just buy a new pre/pro with pass through for that much. Any cheaper solutions?
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The Harman/Kardon Signature 2.0 should fit the bill. It's a pre/pro with a 5.1 pass-through preamp built in. It can be had for extremely low prices nowadays if you look around (maybe at www.harmanaudio.com ).
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

4. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

The Harman Audio site has been down for a few days. I've been trying to get to the outlet store. A few weeks ago they had the Signature preamp and amp in a package for around $900. I'm trying to see if that's still available.
    I think its either that combination or the Denon 3802 for me.
    Aaron

6. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

7. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Wow....thanks for the info. They also have the 5 channel amp for $500, which brings the combo to $900. What you do guys think about this pre/amp combo? I think the denon 3802 has 7 amps and probably some updated processing, but it sure would be cool to have seperates.
    Any opinions on the H&K Signature stuff?
    Thanks, Aaron

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Sony TA-P9000ES is a 5.1 (6 channel) pre amp. It will be out (again) in about a month. The word is, $700 list, $450-500 street.
    Has two sets of 5.1 inputs for a SACD/DVD-A player and your current 5.1 pre-pro/receiver. You just switch between 'em.
    ------------------

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

quote: Any opinions on the H&K Signature stuff?[/quote]If it had adequate video switching for me I'd buy it. Unfortunately I have a lot of S-Video devices (S-VHS VCR, DVD, CLD-99 LD PLayer, Satellite) and the meager switching capacity is inadequate. I have no direct experience with the Sig. 2.0. However, based on my previous H/K experience I have doubt that the H/K separates sound fantastic. If the limited switching it has is enough to support your system, I'd heartily recommend it.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 15, 2001 at 07:59 AM]

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I don't read WSR, but I'm wondering if they had the EMM Labs Switchman II device.
    That's a 4 input 6 channel preamplifier.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

11. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Arron,,,I should have the Sig 2.0 by tomorow afternoon. If you havent decided and are still watching this thread ill post something about my initial findings after i set the unit up.

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest