Anyone know of a product to repair sun damage (i.e. reduce freckles)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mick Wright, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

I've learned my lesson on sun exposure, but not before I destroyed my shoulders with sun damage. I'm looking for any products that will reduce melanin (or fade freckles, sun spots, etc). Hydroquinone, I believe, is the active ingredient of the type of product I'm looking for.

Thanks for any advice.

2. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Solaquin Forte contains 4% hydroquinone. It is available by prescription only. An over the counter alternative is Esoterica. It is 2% hydroquinone and is available as a sunscreen, regular, or a facial fader. I would think any pharmacy could order that for you, but if you don't have any luck give me an email and I could get it for you. It should be around $12.00 or so.

Ace

3. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Thanks for the advice Ace.

4. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

So as not to mislead any of the forum members...but sadly, there is no product that will REPAIR sun damage. The damage is permanent, with the consequences sometimes not visible for up to 10 years. A tan is the skin's defense against the harmful rays of the sun (melanin is released to protect the underlying tissue); therefore there is NO such thing as a "healthy tan".

A bleaching agent will diminish freckles and sun spots, and there are any number of agents that will cause the skin to peel temporarily reducing the appearance of lines and scars. Again, these are temporary fixes.

The number 1 most damaging substance to skin (ie which causes the skin to age fastest?)....SMOKING.

5. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

So as not to mislead any of the forum members...but sadly, there is no product that will REPAIR sun damage. The damage is permanent, with the consequences sometimes not visible for up to 10 years. A tan is the skin's defense against the harmful rays of the sun (melanin is released to protect the underlying tissue); therefore there is NO such thing as a "healthy tan".

A bleaching agent will diminish freckles and sun spots, and there are any number of agents that will cause the skin to peel temporarily reducing the appearance of lines and scars. Again, these are temporary fixes.

The number 1 most damaging substance to skin (ie which causes the skin to age fastest?)....SMOKING.

6. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

You are correct.