What's new

Anyone know of a Pioneer-literate ISF calibrator in Montreal? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI Mitch, I live about 3.5 hours from you. May I be of assistance??

Let me know

Gregg

Mitch Davis

Auditioning
Hi Gregg,
That would be amazing. Here I was thinking that I'd be lucky if I even found an ISF-tech-in-training-with-lots-of-photocopied-manuals to work on the set. I never thought I'd be able to secure a virtual ISF superstar! :)
Give me a shout at [email protected] so we can work something out. The set (a 533) was only delivered Thursday, so I'd imagine that we should wait until at least around September before calibrating? Let me know.
BTW, the problems I've had that have thus far been insolvable are:
- The sporadic appearance of a thin blue line at the very bottom of the screen (I haven't played with the overscan so it isn't that). It is most noticeable on Black & White material, but you can also see a tiny blue glow around certain harsh white objects in color material every now and then.
- A slight-but-noticeable white bleed/bloom effect, particular annoying on certain types of titles. No amount of tinkering with settings makes it go away, and sharpness is set to zero.
- A subtle ghosting/shimmering effect at the side of certain types of images.
- An overwhelming sense that the image is a bit less sharp than it could be (although it is impressively sharp just the same).
Also, another issue relates to VHS playback. I never expected it to look fantastic being magnified to such extremes, but it really looks horrible on this set - farrrr worse than anything on cable. I'm not kidding when I say that even a pristine pre-record looks like an EP dupe of an EP dupe, complete with intense up-conversion artifacting. I've tried connecting it both through normal RCAs and S-Video, but nothing improves. I've read others post that they found VHS playback on the 533 to be surprisingly good. I can definitely say this about cable, but VHS is literally unwatchable. Am I doing something wrong here (hopefully)?
There are other minor issues, but the above is the heavy stuff, so to speak. Overall though, I have to say the 533 is an astonishingly great set!
Cheers,
MD

Users who are viewing this thread