Anyone know of a Field of Dreams Re-Release?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Simon, Jan 2, 2002.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I was watching this movie today and thought I'd see if anyone has heard of a possible re-release for this film. It was one of Universal's earlier titles, and while there are some great bonus features (especially the documentary), it really really could use a new anamorphic transfer and possibly a DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Anyone else think this is a great candidate for an Ultimate Edition? [​IMG]

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Absolutely.

One of my favorite films of all time. I even went to Iowa to see the baseball field for myself.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Its retail price is coming down to $19.95 in early March, FYI.

4. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

This is my favorite film, but I have held off buying the current disk in hopes of a re-release with an anamorphic transfer. Hopefully Universal will consider one soon.

5. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

The upcoming price reduction makes Field of Dreams more attractive to me. I'll probably be able to buy a copy in March for $14.99. I know the disc is non-anamorphic and has pretty good supplements. But there seems to be some disagreement by reviewers over the video and sound quality.

Can someone give me the straight poop on this issue?

6. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

few glad the price is finally coming down on the old version, its pretty damn expensive right now.

but anyways, i would love to see a nice new re release of this dvd.

7. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Any word on a possible re-release of Field of Dreams? I just saw this for $12.99 at Costco, but didn't buy it; I thought I remembered seeing that a new version was coming out. Now I can't find anything on it.

Also, can anybody comment on the audio/video quality of the existing (non-anamorphic) release?

Thanks.

8. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I remember holding out for ages for an anamorphic transfer, but I bought it towards the end of last year.
    The transfer is about a 6 out of 10 IMO, could benefit from a new 16x9 transfer quite a lot. Very nice original DPL soundtrack plus that hidden isolated score option [​IMG]
    But whoever saw it for $12.99, buy it without hesitation is what I would say. Its really a nice disc regardless of 16x9. The documentary is very good, Burt Lancaster's thoughts on baseball in it make it worth the money.
    The movie by itself bare bones is more worthwhile than all the DTS, 16x9 SEs in the world. Alright, I don't wanna oversell it [​IMG]

9. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Ever since my wife and I purchased a widescreen television, I hesitate when it comes to non-anamorphic discs. I really love Field of Dreams, and I'd love to see it get an upgrade. 12.99 is hard to pass up, but I'm going to continue to wait for a Special edition. Please...Universal...hurry it up!

10. paul o'donnell

11. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Paul, you're not helping [​IMG]
    I've been burned in the past by purchasing the first release only to hear of a better release later on..., American Pie......The Mummy...Although now that you guys got me thinking about it, I'll probably end up buying it this weekend. So much for will power.

12. paul o'donnell

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks for the news about Costco having this one cheap! My wife wants it so bad, and Best Buy and Circuit City haven't taken their markdowns on it yet. And K-Mart didn't have it in stock when they advertised it for $14.95 last week.
    Off to Costco today for this... [​IMG]
    ...oh, and I mentioned it in my Weekly Roundup column in a new post, too. Giving Mr. McHale full credit of course!

14. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Based on my signature file, I would buy a new and improved copy of this movie in a New York second.

I screened it a few weeks ago, it could definitly use a new transfer. I am usually a stickler on 16x9 also, however the sheer power and excellence of this movie allows me to overlook it everytime.

15. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Seeing how no one could give me a warm/fuzzy about a possible re-release, I went back to Costco and picked this up. It's the time of year when the spousal unit and I watch baseball movies, and I just can't stand to watch video tape anymore.

I'll probably have to pick up A League of Their Own also, though I sure wish they'd put out a Special Edition with a documentary on the women's league.

Now if Major League (due this year!) and It Happens Every Spring would just come out...

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

You could do worse than check out The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings from Universal; it's anamorphic and looks pretty darn good for a 25-year old movie. A bit hackneyed, but plenty of baseball. Look for my review on Digitally Obsessed later this week.