Anyone know of a Ethernet to USB connector?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Parker Clack, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am wanting to go wireless with my ethernet enabled device, that doesn't have a USB connection, instead of having to run CAT 5 cable. I know you can get an Ethernet bridge that will do this but I am wanting to get a connector that I can plug into the Ethernet connection that outputs to a USB connection. Then I can get the wireless USB connector and plug that in to go wireless.

The wireless USB device is only $39 whereas the wireless Ethernet bridge is about $100. So if I can get a connection device that will allow me to go from Ethernet to USB that would save me a great deal of money.

Parker

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I don't know of any, but I will tell that that I have had nothing but problems, as have many others that I've worked with, when using USB for any kind of network connectivity, whether it's for Ethernet or dial-up modems. While I understand the desire to not run CAT 5 (I've installed over 20 network jacks all over my house), I would recommend doing that instead of USB. It's much faster and much more reliable.

It would help if you could explain in more detail the equipment that you want to connect.

3. Parker Clack

Parker
    John:

Thanks for the feedback. I have run CAT 5 too to hardwire two of my computers. I have the Ethernet wireless bridge on one of my ReplayTV units and I set up the USB wireless for my daughter's computer that is upstairs and it works great.

I just purchased a new ReplayTV unit but the USB connection is not functioning and ReplayTV has no immediate plans to make it operational. So I am left with getting another wireless Ethernet bridge. I was hoping that I would be able to find an Ethernet to USB connector so I could use the much cheaper wireless USB but I haven't been able to find one. I doubt that they make one either.

Oh, well. I guess I am going to have to get another wireless Ethernet bridge.

Parker

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Parker, is this what you mean?

5. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Darren, That device appears to be a USB to ethernet converter. I think Parker is looking for the opposite, an ethernet to USB converter.

I would be very surprised if such a device existed. USB was designed to have multiple types of devices attached to it (mice, keyboards, printers, ethernet, etc.) Ethernet is really only a one purpose port. It wasn't designed to attach to anything other than another ethernet port. This is how I understand it at least. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I think the bridge is the only way to go.

6. Parker Clack

Parker
    Jeff:

I was thinking that too.

Parker

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I checked D-Link, SMC, and Linksys, the three companies that I think would be most likely to have what you're looking for, and I couldn't find anything. The only think that I've found are USB-to-Ethernet adapters.

Even doing a text specific search of "Ethernet to USB" comes up with the reverse, since some sellers obviously have no sense of direction. [​IMG]

I think you're out of luck on this one. And is wireless USB really that much cheaper? I mean, would the cost of an adapter + wireless connection still be less than a wireless Ethernet bridge?

8. Parker Clack

Parker
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am going to just get the Ethernet bridge.

Parker

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If you have free PCI slots, there are PC card adapters. With a PC card adapter and a notebook-style wireless LAN card, you could associate with the access point connected to the TiVo.

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Never mind ... I just realized that the chances of a ReplayTV unit having PCI slots are slim and none.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter