What's new

anyone know how to make an inexpensive fixed screen. (1 Viewer)

charles j

Auditioning
Anyone know if you can glue a vinyl screen to a board, if so what kind of glue do you use and what type of boards?
I have a manual pulldown screen that I would like to convert to a fixed screen.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
You might have better luck painting a masonite board with a flat white paint.

In theatres, screens aren't glued to a backing, rather they are stretched on a frame. You could make a wood or metal frame and then punch and make grommets around the edge of the screen and use bungie cord to provide tension for mounting it.

It might be easier, cheaper and better, to buy some screen material of the right size already fitted with the grommets and just build the frame and mount it.

John

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Charles, build a wooden frame out of 1X3 pine(I used clear pine), glue, screw, and miter the corners, and use a couple 1X3 vertical braces. Where the braces meet the frame at 90 degrees, use a metal "T" brace to tie them together for more strength. Then stretch the screen material tight with a helper, and staple on the rear of frame with 3/8" staples.

charles j

Auditioning
Hey, Thanks all for your advice, I will check into all of it. When I get this project finished I will post the results. Thanks again
CJD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks