Anyone know how to get an English copy of Strewel Peter (sp?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Mar 2, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'm guess Cees will know all about this.

My granny had a copy and I was thinking about it the other day. I think its English title was Shock-headed Peter but I don't know.

Anyone have any pointers about this book? Can you still get it and what's the English title?

Cheers.

2. andrew markworthy

My wife loved this book as a child and a few years ago we tried to get a new copy and were told it was out of print. Having said that, I haven't looked recently, so it may be back in print. I must say that I hated it - I was spared the book as a child (I was a Winnie the Pooh and Alice in Wonderland fan, myself) and when I saw it as an adult it freaked me out.

Incidentally, there was a new opera based on the story produced in London a couple of years ago.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Well they mentioned a production the Metro the other week which is what got me thinking.
    I loved Pooh too. I think the book is less shocking as a kid than as an adult because kids are really cruel and don't tend to care so much (if you see what I mean). The stuff's no worse than what happens in the average Roald Dahl and I reckon most of his stories seem pretty harsh if you read them for the first time as an adult.[​IMG]

4. Michael St. Clair

That book is HARSH! I love it! My wife has a copy.

I don't know where to get it.