1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know how best to playback TT on B&K Ref 30?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MannyE, Aug 25, 2001.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

A short whle ago I picked up an MMF-5 from a local dealer and I've been having a grand ol' time dusting off the big black discs I had and paying 50 cents for "new" ones.
    Got home with big new stack today and was feeling that even though it sounded really good with the new stuff and OK with the old stuff (older records seem to lack bass for some reason)
    But I can't help thinking it could sound better. I don't think I've optimized my Ref30 pre/pro.
    I am using the Radio Shack 9volt pre into the "tape" input on the Ref30.
    I have tried "stereo2", "Left/Right". and "direct" the latter two sounding much better than the former, but with no bass. Bass in my system is handled by the subs in the powered towers.
    I am eventually moving the TT into the analog room where the Bottlehead Foreplay and Paramours reside, but until I get the horns, I'm not using the tube stuff. What can I do to optimize in the interim? I didn't see anything in the manual about equalizing for stereo in a sat/sub situation...which is essentially how this should be thought of.
    System:
    MMF-5
    Radio Shack phono pre
    B&K REf 30
    Outlaw 750
    Definitive Technologies BP2002 bi-polar powered towers (L/R)
    As you can see the HT is pulling double duty for the time being.

2. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

anyone?

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If you're willing to buy equipment, you have options - you can buy external crossovers that you can use to send the bass information directly to the subwoofer, and the remaining information to your pre/pro. I believe you're getting low bass because your main speakers aren't full range and in stereo direct mode there's no information being sent to the sub? Or is your problem something else?
    Oops, just checked your speakers, those should be full range [​IMG]

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Yes...
    Thanks for the reply...I realized that all I may have to do is remove the line going into the sub and replace the jumpers on the three terminals!
    I will try this tomorrow when I wake up....oh my! look at the time!