What's new

Anyone know anything about Where the Red Fern Grows (1974)? (1 Viewer)

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Not sure where to post this, but the 1974 Norman Tokar film "Where the Red Fern Grows" seems to be/have been a well-selling staple on DVD for years using a horrible cropped transfer (VHS quality at best), but is still unavailable anywhere in HD. Does anyone know why? Who owns the rights? Were original elements destroyed? Curious if anyone knows anything as I've been unable to find any info about the state of this film. It seems to be a well-known film and like I said has had numerous DVD releases from various companies like Bridgestone, Echo Bridge, etc using very old horrible VHS quality prints, so curious why there hasn't been any love shown towards it and why it's still only available in SD?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Not sure where to post this, but the 1974 Norman Tokar film "Where the Red Fern Grows" seems to be/have been a well-selling staple on DVD for years using a horrible cropped transfer (VHS quality at best), but is still unavailable anywhere in HD. Does anyone know why? Who owns the rights? Were original elements destroyed? Curious if anyone knows anything as I've been unable to find any info about the state of this film. It seems to be a well-known film and like I said has had numerous DVD releases from various companies like Bridgestone, Echo Bridge, etc using very old horrible VHS quality prints, so curious why there hasn't been any love shown towards it and why it's still only available in SD?
Finding the 2003 remake on BRD, and not the 1974 original being released in the same format has me scratching my head. From what I'm seeing, it's in the Disney collection...that should tell you why it is not available on BRD. I've found them to be pretty lazy about doing justice to thier earlier proporties, unless it's animated!!!

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Finding the 2003 remake on BRD, and not the 1974 original being released in the same format has me scratching my head. From what I'm seeing, it's in the Disney collection...that should tell you why it is not available on BRD. I've found them to be pretty lazy about doing justice to thier earlier proporties, unless it's animated!!!
Yeah, that certainly could explain it. The remake I thought was worse on numerous fronts than the original, but the original is only available in horrid quality. I don't think Disney have ever released the original but they maybe if they do own, they have licensed it out to other companies for DVD release. In any event, there's not even an HD streaming option (which Disney does at least have for many of their old non-blu properties) so it's a real head scratcher. I've seen this original film show up on several streaming services, but it's always the old terrible SD transfer.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yeah, that certainly could explain it. The remake I thought was worse on numerous fronts than the original, but the original is only available in horrid quality. I don't think Disney have ever released the original but they maybe if they do own, they have licensed it out to other companies for DVD release. In any event, there's not even an HD streaming option (which Disney does at least have for many of their old non-blu properties) so it's a real head scratcher. I've seen this original film show up on several streaming services, but it's always the old terrible SD transfer.
There are many Disney films I'd love to see restored and given the Bluray treatment...it seems they aren't interested in thier legacy films, only the Marvel or Star Wars properties!!

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Wondering if anyone, say the likes of a certain Robert Harris :) might have any more info to offer on this title? Is the original 1974 film truly with Disney? (I have great doubts about this). It just flumoxes me because it's got to be one of the worst SD transfers around and I keep seeing it pop up on various streaming services using the same old tired VHS-like transfer.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Ah well, no takers, guess I'll try again next year lol Where's Robert Harris when you need him? :biggrin:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think that the 1974 film is controlled by NBCUniversal Television and Echo Bridge Video. Disney did not purchase the right when they made the 2003 version. Since this was produced by an independent company, the rights are always in question. I did find that World One TV now has rights world wide to all media. It’s confusing.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Rodney - looking at that trailer led to the actual 45 minute documentary there on YouTube with the producer and actors. Amazing to me they talk of how the movie did so well and led to over 10 million home video sales and what a shelf life the film has had over 40 years and they like it enough to make a 45minute documentary on it and not once do they talk about how horrible it looks by today's standards and what they can maybe do to bring it to HD. Ah well, I guess while I knew it was an independent production I didn't realize the full extent of that. Who knows - the original elements may not even exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks