Anyone know anything about the Marantz "CC-38" 5 Disc Changer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Anyone know anything about the Marantz "CC-38" 5 Disc Changer?

I have come across one for free. It's a couple years old, looks to be a decent piece. No digital out, only analog, so I was especially wondering how good the DACs in this unit are.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Luke, I have not used the Marantz CC-38, but I have used later models (e.g., CC-3000, CC-4000, and CC-4000OSE). For the money, all the Marantz changers I have used were pretty good. The sound using the internal DACs was a bit warm to my ears, but I've heard worse in budget players. One thing that is nice about the Marantz changers I have used is that they have a very fast and smooth carousel mechanism. Anyway, if the '38 you have been offered for free works well, grab it. Free is free, and it's not every day that one is offered a Marantz component for free. [​IMG]

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Luke, I too am surprised that the '38 has no digital output, as it is not a very old model. Perhaps Marantz made a step-up model back that possesses a digital output. I am thinking that there may have been a '48 model back then, but I could be mistaken. In any event, there are still a couple players available here and there that lack digital outputs, which is senseless to me. An example is the budget-priced Sony CDP-XE270 single-disc (which also has no remote control). The recently discontinued Denon DCM-270 changer has no digital output, though its replacement, the '280, has a coaxial digital output.

If you do hook-up the '38, let us know how you like it. What are you currently using for CDs?