Anyone Know Anything about the Dell XPS M140

Discussion in 'Computers' started by WillG, May 9, 2006.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I just got this laptop and have a few questions about. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

1st, does this model have a true 16:9 (1.78:1) screen. I put in a DVD of a 1.78:1 presentation and it did not fill the screen. Maybe I don't have something set up right, but the presentation did not look distorted.

2nd, I am using wireless internet and I have picked up a network with excellent signal strength running at 54 Mbps but it seems awfully slow compared to my old desktop. I'm not using my own router, so could that be the reason for the speed issue?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    computer screens usually have 16:10 ratio, not 16:9.

CJ

3. WillG

WillG Producer

I wonder why they don't go with 1.78:1. But I guess that explain things. So I am pretty much getting the standard for computers?

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you're using someones random wireless connection then there is no way to tell how heavily loaded that network is already, and load will have an impact on speed.

Also, you may or may not be committing a felony, I'm not sure. [​IMG]

That becomes totally nonsensical if you replace "10 kinds of people" with "ten kinds of people"...

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    duh...i think it was late when i typed it, thanks for catching it.

CJ

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Hopefully this will all make sense....It has to do with how the computer handles pixels.

All computer resolutions are divisible by 16 because that's how computers work best with video.

1920x1200 (i.e. 16x10) can be divided evenly into squares that are 16x16 pixels - that's why the 1.6 aspect ratio is perfect for this.

whereas - 1920x1080 (i.e. 16x9) can't be divided evenly into 16x16 pixel squares.