Anyone know anything about plumbing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I've got a problem with my plumbing. It started a few weeks ago. Whenever the washing machine is draining, the bathtub will back up with water and the water level in the toilet will drop. And just today, my wife was taking a shower, and the water drained very slowly (that's the first time it's done that) and the sink in the bathroom backed up some, along with the dropping of the toilet water. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is it likely that there is a clog or some type of blockage somewhere? Can I fix it myself, or should I call a plumber? Thanks.

Dan

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Are you on septic or sewer? Either way, it appears that your washing machine waste hooks in very closely to the same drains that feed from the bathroom. Depending on what kind of system you are on, it could be a septic tank that needs to be drained or a clog. If you are on sewer, I am not sure if you should try a drain cleaner yourself or not. Or even a snake if you feel comfortable using one.

C. Ryan

3. Dan Whalen

I didn't even think to mention that. It's on public sewer. I'm sure it's a clog or something b/c like I said it just started happening a few weeks ago. And the first time it backed up into the tub, I pulled a handfull of hair and this black sludge shit off of the drain cover thing.[​IMG] Very tasty looking.[​IMG]
    Dan

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The lack of a plumbing vent or a plugged one is the usual cause for this type of problem... check your vent to see if something has it plugged...... 2nd.... may be some roots growing into your sewage line somewhere.... this would have to be dug up and replaced to totally cure it. Keep your tub drain checked for hair buildup.although it alone would not cause the other problems you mentioned.

Again, a venting problem is to be checked first.

5. Chuck Frady

Chuck Frady Second Unit

something very similar happened to me twice now.

I have a septic tank, and every couple of years about this time of the year (Cold) the intake screen side of the septic tank would clog up. I dug up the dirt covering the small intake inspection cover and found the clog. All that phospherous from the laundry soap congealed with some kitchen by products (grease and stuff) and clogged up the pipes and intake. Well a few pokes with a metal rod unclogged the entire system and WHOOOSHHH, the drain was clear. I really should clean it out every year, but who the hell wants to do this all the time...

Anyways, even though you are on a public sewer system, you may want to check for a plug where your pipes meet the sewer.

The ideal of the plumbing vent being blocked is another place you should check as well.

hope this helps.

6. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Check the vent. I'll bet ya' dollars to donuts that's where the problem is, Especially with the sudden onset.

7. Dan Whalen

Where is the vent located?[​IMG] Would it be under the house somewhere? I have a crawlspace.
    Dan

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The typical plumbing vent is attached to the drain and extends upward through the roof. They simply allow water to discharge without causing a vacuum which will make the drains gurgle, slow drains etc... Some newer homes incorporate a "power" vent which is a one-way valve that can be located under sinks above the trap or in the attic.

Older homes (40 yr or older) sometimes will not have vents at all.

If you see some open plumbing pipes through your roof, that's probably your vents and will be a good place to run a snake down.

If it isn't your vents, then as someone mentioned above, your main drain from your house may be the culprit and roto-rooter may be in your future...... good luck

9. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Had the same problem last summer......( this too " black sludge shit" )rented a Power Snake from the local Rental Center. ( make sure you know how far your line runs to the street connection to get the proper length of cable).
    I would run it into the line until I felt a little resistance, then let it spin at the location for awhile then proceed forward again. When I thought I was about half way, I pulled the snake out and it was just loaded with Fine tree roots!
    After about 1/2 hour,( made several passes thru the line) I made it out to the street.
    Ran lots of water thru system and no back-up was detected!
    Ran some tree root remover type stuff into the line and let it set overnight.
    Everything has been fine since!
    I know that within the next few years I'll have to replace the old drain line that runs from my house to the street?[​IMG]
    * If your not the Do-it Yourselfer type, then have a local outfit like Roto-Rooter come out and take care of it for you.