Anyone know anything about Metallica's next album?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil M, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I'm kind of interested in seeing where they go after having played with a symphony and doing an album of covers. I know that Hetfield is out of rehab now so i'm hoping that we will see a release sometime this year. Anyone read anything about it?

2. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

Yes James is out of rehab, but I don't know if he has started work on the new album yet. My guess is not yet. They still don't have a new bass player yet. I've heard though that they may not recruit a new bass player for the band for their next album, but instead either use a studio player, or get a friend(s) to help out. I pretty much consider their next album to be MIA until at least the end of '02. I'm a big Metallica fan though, so I hope the next album kicks ass. After all the Napster press, it would be nice to hear press about the band revolve around their good music also.

3. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah i hear that Patrick. I believe they were actually working on the album before hetfield went into rehab and they had bob rock playing bass. But then again, there are always rumors. I'm a big metallica fan also. Let's hope the album kicks major ass.

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Here is some info from another board:

>>>>METALLICA: 20 New Songs In The Can - Jan. 18, 2002

METALLICA have completed the basic skeletons of 20 new songs during the most recent songwriting sessions for the group's next album, drummer Lars Ulrich revealed in an interview published in the latest issue of METALLICA fan magazine So What. Ulrich also stated that the much-talked-about collaboration between METALLICA, rapper JA RULE and producer Swizz Beatz—which apparently follows a BEASTIE BOYS-style direction, with full-on rapping mixed in with heavy guitars—is due to be issued in February. In other news, METALLICA frontman James Hetfield and wife Francesca are expecting their third child in about nine and a half weeks.

>>>>

These guys are confused musically ?!?!?!

5. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

It's no wonder Jason quit. If this is true (the Ja Rule collaboration) it just marks another chapter in the downward descent of a one time innovative band that found out they can be fat and happy by dumbing down their music and become just another rock band.

I'm sorry. There's just a part of me that wishes they would re-reinvent themselves and just kick everyone in the ass as they're probably still capable. I long for the days of the 12 minute jam. I knew it was all over when they started playing an abridged version of master of puppets live.

6. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how this Ja Rule collaboration is gonna work out but i'll give it a chance. 20 songs sounds promising as long as it is a two-disc set. We might get a couple of 12 minute jams out of it. Let's just hope for the best because Metallica needs this album to prove that they still have the ability to rock. I hope that the february date is true because i desperately want to hear some new stuff from the boys.

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

The sad thing is, now days I can imagine James getting on stage and singing "H to the Izzo, V to the Izzay"

Truly a sad tune of events, from the band that brought us "Kill 'Em All" now brings us "Pimp them Hoes"

8. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

9. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Metallica will always be my favorite band, but even I have my limits. This Ja Rule thing sound like a really awful idea. I guess it's time I realized that the mighty met is dead considering they haven't put out a truly great album since 1988 (albums since have ranged from good to ok). Jesus man, I was in 9th freakin grade when And Justice for All came out and now I have been TEACHING 9th graders for 4 years!!

I don't have a big problem with their change in style from the 80's to the 90's because at least it was still rock - tolerating rap from them is a different story.

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Interesting collaboration. Does this really surprise anyone? Metallica is done. They will always try new things hoping to catch any market. I personally will not be buying any new releases of theirs. Its too bad that this band still gasps for air. Call it a career guys. Get into some production or something. You have alienated your fans long enough.

I say this not too sound harsh. I can also say my favorite band, INXS, should do the same. They lost the frontman and the voice, but not the heart. Quit trying to recapture what was lost and living for the name. Even after 25 years, its time to look ahead.

OK I'm done.

11. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

12. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Come on guys, James hates rap music, i'm sure that story is B.S. unless someone at rehab brainwashed him [​IMG]

13. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

They were done a long time ago.

15. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I was just checking on the message board on the metallica website and they are saying lots of things. It sounds like the Ja Rule C(Rap) is going to be released in february but its not going to be part of the new album that will come out this fall. It's just going to be a single. This kinda makes sense cause it would be stupid to release the first single for an album many many months before it is released. I don't think the fans could take it. They are also saying that there won't be 20 songs on the album which makes sense. They've only written them so that doesn't mean that they will all be in the final release. Plus it's only the basic skeletons of 20 songs. Some will probably just end up on the next release (like they did for load and reload). Despite what a lot of people say, metallica isn't done. They still have a large fan base and can sell out concerts everywhere. They are the ones that will decide when it's over.

16. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Sounds a little like the time the Smashing Pumpkins joined with Puff Daddy (P. Diddy), lots of people went mental at it but it was just the pumpkins wanting some remixes, they came out and life went on.

17. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

more news on this from blabbermouth.net

>>>

METALLICA's Collaboration With JA RULE To Surface In May - Jan. 23, 2002

METALLICA's much-talked-about collaboration with rapper JA RULE and producer Swizz Beatz will come in the shape of a track called "We Did It Again", which will surface on May 14th via Ghetto Stories, a Dreamworks Records hip-hop compilation helmed by Beatz. The METALLICA track will reportedly be the only rock cut on the album, which will also include contributions from Ronald Isley and Shyne, among others. According to a report posted at MTV.com, “We Did It Again” will feature JA RULE rapping over two 12-bar verses accompanied by the group's trademark crunch, while rest of the song is instrumental and does not include contributions from vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield (who was in rehab when the track was laid down last August).

>>>>

18. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

19. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Metallica has gone downhill real fast since the black album. While, in my opinion, "Justice" is their best album I don't expect much from this band after the complete change from Justice to Black. I refused to even buy Load and Re-load. With the "Ja Rule" reference, I doubt many Metallica fans will stick around for them if it really happens.

20. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Lost total intrest in Metalica with the "Black" album and has been a downward sprial for them ever since. I even saw them couple years ago in concert...I will never see them again! Cant beleive they replace sanitarium with the unforgiven and only did a compilation of the kill-em all album. think they cant play that hard anymore...oh well.. Metalica who??