What's new

Anyone know anything about "Gambit" (1 Viewer)

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Does anyone have any info about this movie coming out on DVD? I think it's an extremely enjoyable movie with a first-rate cast and great acting. It has stood the test of time through at least 4 watchings, and I wish it were available on DVD.

Is anyone else interested? Does anyone have information about it?

TIA

SMK

Jae_E

Agent
Is this the Michael Caine/Shirley MacLaine "Gambit" from the mid-Sixties??? If so, I think the rights are held by Universal. Seems to me like it would fit nicely in a collection with "Arabesque" (Gregory Peck, Sophia Loren) and "Mirage" (Gregory Peck, Diane Baker, Walter Matthau). Maybe they could throw in "Midnight Lace" (Doris Day) as well.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This is a very good film, and I'm surprised it has not yet been released. I like your idea for that set of Universal 60s pics.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Caught it on cable (Caine and MacLaine) and what a grand film and a great performance by Herbert Lom too. Loved the structure of it, you'll know what I mean when you see it. I'd buy it, if OAR that is ;).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it's an overlooked, underrated gem of a film. It's kind of a hip version of RIFIFI and TOPKAPI with some delightful twists and surprises. I haven't seen it in decades, however, and would love to have a copy of it on DVD.

MTanner

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
It is being remade with a Coen brothers script. That might be the most likely release.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I like the Coen Brothers, but I'd still like the original on DVD.

I had not thought about Mirage in some time. I remember seeing it in the movies when I was all of 13 and thought it was the cleverest movie ever made. I saw it on TV a few years later and thought, "What was I thinking?" It really has a lot of flaws in it, but maybe seeing it again once more for old time's sake wouldn't be bad.

SMK

margaret l

Auditioning
Real Name
Margaret Lundy
Doesn't look like the remake is happening. If it does hopefully it won't be as bad as 'The Ladykillers'[worst remake of all time?]. But whatever the case why don't they release this title?

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I have recorded it from HDNet and plan to watch it sometime this week. I did watch the first few minutes just to see the picture quality, and it looked great in HD.

SMK

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
It also aired on Turner Classic Movies a while back in it's OAR. I recorded it then and was hoping to replace it with an official DVD release..... but I'm still waiting.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It has been remastered for Hi Def, so maybe Universal will release it on DVD. Maybe a Michael Caine set?

By the way, it looked nice on HD NET movies.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I watched my recording from HDNet last night, and I thought it looked great. I am hoping a DVD will be in the works now that it has apparently been restored.

SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks