Anyone know anything about Canadian Customs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by PatB, Aug 26, 2004.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm living in Toronto I was interested in trying to mail order some PC parts from the U.S (what selection, what prices!) and I know that there is the issue with currency but I was wondering if I would have a hassle dealing with customs. I've heard various things about electronics or specifically computer hardware not being charged any duty and I am wondering if there is any truth to this. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC and I would love it if I could deal with some places in the US.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

Unless it's ATI(Canadian company), you'll pay customs.

3. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried this before? Do you have any idea how they calculate it?

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This page has links to the various tariffs on imports into Canada. A lot depends on the value of the shipment, and where the parts originate. If you aren't looking in the thousands of dollars, and aren't shipping by courier, chances are all you will be dinged for is PST and GST, plus a $5 handling fee by Canada Post. If you use a courier, they will charge for brokerage plus any taxes and duty (if applicable)-I would avoid them if possible.

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

If you are looking for pc parts at good prices, check out http://www.ncix.com

I've been using them for years and not a single problem. Competitive pricing, good customer service, and fast shipping.

They are based in Vancouver so if you live outside of B.C. you only pay 7% GST and no PST.

As for customs, you will be charged for almost anything. If it's Canada post you are looking at a $5 fee plus 15% tax on your purchase. If it's UPS you will get an additional $20-$40 tacked onto your 15% tax (ridiculous!). Fedex is a little better with around $15 in fees most of the time but it's still ridiculous.

So I recommend staying with ncix. It'll be cheaper in the long run in most cases.

6. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Kami beat me to it; I second ncix.com. I purchased all my computer parts from there without hassle and ended up with a system that I wanted that was significantly cheaper and faster than other comparable pre-built systems.

Unfortunately, I did end up with one bad memory stick (don't ask how long it took me to trace it down to the stick) and I had no problems or hassles returning it back to ncix for a free exchange.

[​IMG]

7. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Hey thanks, I'll give them a try.I've read some good things about them. Anyone ever use tigerdirect.ca?