What's new

Anyone know anything about Aperion Intimus? (1 Viewer)

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of the Aperion Intimus 12" powered sub, and if it is any good or not. It seems a close rank for the SVS 20-39 PCi, but is a box. Price is the same, so I would appreciate any input anyone has.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, I got this sub back in July, and I'm thrilled with it. I've never heard the SVS, but I did listen to the Velodyne first, and the JBL, B&W, and Polk after and I have no regrets at all. The build quality is very nice, CS is great, and it even comes shipped in a swanky purple velvet bag. I’ve put it through the usual torture tests, LOTR EE, Monsters Inc, AOTC, etc., and have wowed myself, my friends, my family (and I’m sure my neighbors!). The cherry cabinet has a very high WAF as well. It’s very nice to look at and makes a nice end table. :) I’m also a music freak and this baby is very musical. I listen to a lot of acoustic music, and an upright bass sounds very tight. I’ve never heard it distort or sound flabby at all. Thumbs up!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I demoed a pair of Aperion 522D's, and a friend purchased this demo pair from Aperion at a nice discount. She then wanted a "matching" sub, so I had her call Aperion. She picked up a matching b-stock 12" sub and I help her hooked it up.

It is a nice sub, but in her livingroom, it did not sound as nice as my VTF-3 does in my livingroom. But it does look a whole lot nicer.

The 10" model has gotten good reviews.

Aperion is another internet direct company that is great to purchase from. They also have a 30 day trial...and free shipping too(I think).

BrianAe

Second Unit
Neil,

I own an Aperion 5.1 system with their 12" sub (upgraded from 10"). My guess is that the Aperion 12" would be very close if not equal to the SVS and definitly looks a lot better. I have done a direct comparison of the Aperion 10" and the HSU VTF-2 and the Aperion won hands down AND the 12" is a step up from the 10". I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-- B

Thanks for all the input guys. It seems like the Intimus has a higher FR than the SVS and a bit more output at around 60-70 hz, which I kind of need, but would the Intimus get the deeper extension of the 20-39PCi? Like good down to 18-20 hz? I saw the graph on Aperion's site, but I don't know how much those should be trusted.

Ganesh

Agent

Interesting! Was the Aperion louder or punchier or both? Has anyone else done a direct comparison of these two?

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
How does that HDF stuff hold up to weather? Is it as solid or as good for sound as some nice, solid wood?
Nothing wrong with HDF. It’s finished in a really attractive cherry veneer, so you’d never know what’s underneath. In fact most speakers are made with MDF, it’s lighter, less expensive, and most importantly, less resonant than solid wood. I imagine most high end companies use MDF for their cabinets. They just use nicer veneer finishes than the cheaper guys. Does anybody make a solid wood cabinet?

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
A solid wood cabinet is not really good for speakers for whatever reason. That is why you see MDF all the time. HDF is better then MDF but both are very good. All of your better car stereo Bass boxes are made of MDF and I have heard some serious bass in some car stereos and they hold up just fine. They are also put through much worse "weather conditions" than a home stereo system.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I'd say the Aperion was tighter, more accurate, more musical, and a little deeper than the HSU. I think it blends with monitors in the same class as the Aperions better then the HSU. Also, it goes with out saying that the Aperion looks much better. That being said, the HSU is a great sub, still far better then most in it's class.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks