What's new

Anyone know about Tosh's IDSC II technology? (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Best Buy today and they've just rolled out the 34HD82 HDTV with the IDSC II technology. The salesman claimed that it makes regular NTSC signals look better than they do on the HDTV's of other brands. I glanced at the Toshiba sight and there is really no better explanation of what it does. Has anyone had any experience with it or know what it does? I searched the forum and could only find one thread that was a couple of months old...

Scott

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
IDSC stands for Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion. It's just Toshiba's marketing name for the process they use to convert regular interlaced video signals into a progressive scan signal.

Although it would be 'accurate' to say "Toshiba has IDSC and Hitachi doesn't", it's quite meaningless as Hitachi (and all other manufacturers) have a similar technology under a different marketing name. Toshiba's process is very good, but I wouldn't say it was substantially better or worse than any one else's.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Original IDSC was a 480p output but the latter sets now convert to 540p, hence IDSC-II was born. The latest is IDSC Pro that handles 720p input by converting to 1080i.

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info but now I've got a real beginner question for you. What does "natively" mean???

Scott

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Scott,
It's a term we use here to express "pure" or "unaltered".

The problem with the toshiba RPTV's is they upconvert a 480p signal to 540p which isn't desired so we would rather have 480p displayed in it's "native" form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks