anyone know about radioshack remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by keir, Mar 10, 2002.

1. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i read some good reviews of the radio shack 15-1994 6in1 remote control at audioreview.com but the only one on radioshacks homepage is the 15-2104. the 15-1994 supposedly has some type of hookup cable so it can learn codes via computer update. i need something that controls my kenwood receiver and samsung dvd player and tv and vcr, is this product the same as reviewed? heres a link. its the only remote i could find that looks similar, and the price is the same.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2104

2. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

The 15-1994 has been discontinued. The 2104 is it's replacement, but the key layout has changed (for the worse, IMHO). If you look around you may be able to find a few leftovers at a reduced cost.
    The hookup cable and programming (called JP1) is more of a hack than a bonafide product, but gets lots of praise from its users. You may not even need that though. The 15-1994 has tons of codes built in. I have an Optimus receiver, RCA VCR, Toshiba DVD and Sony TV, all of which are recognized by build-in codes.
    I had a break-in this weekend in which my 15-1994 was stolen. Both my wife and I LOVE this remote, so I had to replace it immediately. It wasn't too hard to find, and was dirt cheap due to its discontinuation. Only problem now is that I have to reprogram the thing. [​IMG]

3. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

You can find info on the JP1 hack at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml
    Dave, 15-1994 remotes are still out there available in some stores. Ask the salesperson to check the computer (they should be networked so that they can at least see what's in stock at local stores). That's how I found the one I got which, sadly, didn't work for what I needed.
    Before you ask, no, I returned it.

4. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

I own a 15-1994 which is used by my wife upstairs. If you own a PVR or plan to get one - this piece of gear is not supported by the built in code base. The alternative is to learn the codes onto the remote (you'll probably run out of memory) or the JP-1 hack (doing it on the computer uses less memory). Just something to consider about the 1994.

Jim L

5. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i got the newer 15-2104 , and it works fine. i guess i dont know what im missing in regards to the worse button placement, but it works on all my equipment without the need for the jp1 cable and i have no major gripes [​IMG]

6. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I managed to find an RS with 2 in stock. I picked up one, but I'm almost tempted to pick up the second as a backup...

7. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I would, Dave, I read somewhere the backlight on it is a little fragile.

8. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Dave I'm confused. You had a break-in where they took your remote. Didn't they take your other stuff too? Where they remote bandits, poised to rid the world of efficient Home Theater navigation?
    Do you just have a remote and you are calling it a home theater? Do you perhaps program it with all the stuff you wish you had? [​IMG]
    Just kidding [​IMG]
    Can you shed some light on this for me?

9. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

They didn't make off with much, the cops says they were probably interrupted, since they left behind a huge shopping bag full of DVDs that they had hand-picked from my collection.

They took the DVD player and about a half dozen DVDs, the only remote laying around (the 15-1994), headphones and my Playstation memory card (but not the Playstation, or any games). Damn kids. It happened the day before March Break, a day where a lot of kids skip school.

I had my TV, DVD, VCR and receiver all programmed into the remote.