Anyone know about Hafler DH500 Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamieS, Sep 16, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I was browsing though audiogon looking at Canada listings. I came upon this Hafler DH500 for a very reasonable price in Canada. 255 W x2. I'd love to add some nice clean power to the front for my Rotel RSX 1055.

I have not been able to find much info on these amps. Are they good, bad etc. etc. Anyone know anythinbg about them?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

David Hafler's "big" amplifier was quite well-respected in its time (the 1980s). High-current, clean power, and affordable.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I just set up an outdoor screen and speakers for a party on a large piece of property-the Hafler DH500 ran about 6 hours during the day playing CD's, then into the wee hours playing concert DVD's. No problems whatsoever.

I had things bi-amped with a Carver 200wpc cube amp(circa same period)- this particular amp did cut out several times when the going got rough, but we were driving them pretty hard.

So, the Hafler does crank it out quite well.

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Hafler amps are well respected by the pro audio and pro recording industry. Very clean,quiet, solid amps. I can't imagine this particular amp being any different quality wise.

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I have a pair of Hafler DH200's that I purchased over 20 years ago and they are still going strong. I purchased them as a kit to save money, and have not had a single problem with them all these years.

They are very clean, powerfull amps that perform well beyond their stated specs.

I remember a review many years ago on the DH200. Even though they are only rated 125 wpc (or is it 100wpc?), they were able to deliver short term power busts close to 500 watts at 2 ohms before clipping!

JimmyK

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I used to have a DH220 that ran very well for me as well..great amps[​IMG]

7. Randy Fisk

Randy Fisk Auditioning

I built a DH-500 from a kit back in the 80's (I think) and I really loved that amp. Very quiet and lots of headroom as I recall. Huge caps. Sold it when I started getting interested in home theater. Man, I should have kept it.

I also built their pre-amp from a kit and it was nice too but I think there were a couple switches known for problems.

My only caution would be (if your considering a purchase) to ask if it was factory or kit built, and then consider the pitfalls of a sloppy builder, if it was a kit. Personally, I'd want a look inside.