What's new

Anyone know about a spy series called Callan? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i still like this show. Edward Woodward is very good in this show. I like the old spy series, like The Baron/Man from Uncle/Mission Impossible, etc.

S

silverking

Apologies, no intention to 'spoil' anything for anybody. Just trying to respond to previous posts with information.

To clarify,- the first two seasons of 'Callan' (monochrome) were long reputed to have been 'lost'.

Repeats on UK TV were always seasons 3 & 4 (colour). Consequently the first appearance here on DVD was season 3 which was erroneously labeled as S1.on the Clearvision label.

As mentioned both seasons 3 & 4 have recently been issued in Australia and both will probably appear in the UK from Network eventually.

A few episodes of seasons 1 & 2 began to surface on EBay & the like as very poor quality 'pirates'.It seems, however, that Network have obtained decent copies of these & cleared the 'rights' . Many episodes remain missing but those that survive are being issued officially in February by Network.I Would think it unlikely though, that these will be issued in the US.

As a previous poster has indicated anyone picking up season 3 would be baffled by the storyline which picks up from the end of Season 2.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I had never seen The Baron and Callan until i bought the sets that came out last year.

Enjoyed both series very much.Hope they find all the b+w Callan's. I would like to see what lead up to his demise?

As far as the spoiler issue in this thread,i do agree that it is very bad taste to throw a spoiler out there without warning.But in this case i don't think it matters much.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi Boris,

The Brits produced some excellent spy series. I like the Baron/Callan so much that i am going to buy Man from Uncle and collect the Mission Impossible dvds. I was too young or was not born when the original series came out, but, i have gotten into them, because i find tv today very weak. I rather watch older tv shows and it is this reason that i have been collecting dvd.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The Baron is vastly underrated great fun in the tradition of The Saint, in fact I think it's just as good. For what it's worth, I like Callan and love The Sandbaggers.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
FYI, Acorn is releasing Callan in America soon. Looking over a review copy, I've been interested to see this discussion about the curious numbering of the sets and releases. (The Acorn set seems to be the start of the color episodes, and is called "set 2," and is made up of 13 episodes.)

Leo

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I preordered the Callan Monochrome years set.

Now I'm interested in the Baron. Has anyone compared the region 1 Koch release to the region 2 Network release of the Baron? I'm curious if there are any differences in video quality. It seems like Network usually does a pretty good job.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I only have the Network and it's superb, has some interview extras too not sure what's on the R1.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have the baron/Get Smart/Callan on dvd. I am looking at Man from uncle this year, becaus the price has come down and i should have the budget for this show in the early summer. Are there any other british spy shows that anyone recommends?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
A few more Brit goodies: Department S (1969-70), its follow-up Jason King (1971-72) and Strange Report (1968), I especially find the latter an excellent and underrated show. Also worth mentioning: The Champions (1968-69), The Zoo Gang (1974), and of course The Protectors (1972-73).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks